Somebody help please.... I'm worried

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by AnnaK, Jun 19, 2013.

1. AnnaK

AnnaK New Member

Jun 19, 2013
    I have a doeling who is a yr and a half old. She came from a cae free closed herd. My only other doe is cae negative. She has never been bred. I don't have a buck so she could not be pregnant. Her udder has slowly been growing and is about the size of a large grapefruit. When I "milk" her, I can get out little streams of clear, watery liquid. She does not have a fever and her udder is not hot or sore....just huge and rock hard....any clues??? Please help!!! Sorry to post this again, but I need info.... I don't want this little girl hurt :)

Attached Files:

2. happybleats

happybleats Active Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    looks like you might have a precocious udder...
    No fever? how does the udder feel..hard or soft..no heat??

If all feels well I would leave it alone...dont milk her..I would also make a date for her to meet Mr. Right so she can get a real udder...she most likley will be a wonderful high producing milker...

3. AnnaK

AnnaK New Member

Jun 19, 2013
    VERY hard, not heat. I googled precocious udder and it doesn't really sound like it....not sure though

4. AnnaK

AnnaK New Member

Jun 19, 2013
    The stream does not look like milk, but just like water....

5. lottsagoats

lottsagoats Junior Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Middle Maine
    Mastitis is almost never even like that between the 2 sides. Usually it's only 1 side and very uneven. To me it looks precocious. Even an udder that is developing for a pregnancy starts off with clear fluid before changing to milk. Same thing for a precocious udder.

I'd stop milking her and just monitor it. If you really are worried, you can do a culture and then not milk her again.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  6. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    A PU doesnt always produce milk...could also be false pregancy..they will "carry" full termm make an udder, not always milk,,,I had one hat had a colostrum like stuff on one side and clear liquid on the other...Once they "Deliver" a what is called a cloud burst, which is basically like a water balloon popping they can come back in heat...
    Is she acting well other wise? eating drinking pooping berries, peeing, bright eye and alert??

7. AnnaK

AnnaK New Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Oh! Good to know...this really helps.

8. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I agree with lotsofgoats...it looks good..nice and round...not odd shaped or uneven...I would not milk... and as she said if things change and get scary...you can have some fluid from it tested..

were you going to breed her?? if so this is a good time...get her to produce you a very nice udder...

9. AnnaK

AnnaK New Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Thanks so much guys! Y'all are so helpful and nice....you really took a load off my mind!!

10. Texaslass

Texaslass New Member

May 15, 2013
    Yes, we had a doe with a PU, looked just like that. I agree with the others, that's probably what it is.
    Okay, now I'm butting in again, but I have a question: why do goats get false pregnancies and what causes them? I think one of ours (Danielle) had one on year, but not sure.

11. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
  12. Texaslass

Texaslass New Member

May 15, 2013
    Thanks Cathy,I'm getting lazy, asking y'all everything instead of doing my research. :eek:
    Not surprising that it is often caused by human interference; not the case here, though, I don't think. That was the year we borrowed a buck from our sort of neighbors at the last minute. None of our does liked him at all, but we thought they were all bred anyway, cause they didn't come into heat. And Danielle tricked us bad- after wed given up on any of the others being pregnant, she was showing all the signs of it for about 3 or 4 months, then one morning we come out and she's skinny! Like, really skinny all f a sudden!
    We searched all around their pen for evidence of an abortion or something, but couldn't find a thing. It was very upsetting, and I'm glad we won't be borrowing bucks anymore(hopefully) :)

13. AnnaK

AnnaK New Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Do I need to worry about breeding her? Should I treat her with anything?

14. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I wouldnt treat her for anything if she is acting normal otherwise..I would breed her as soon as she comes in heat...so she will give you a beatiful udder you can milk :D

15. AnnaK

AnnaK New Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Cool! Thx!