Sores on udders

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by katie, Mar 25, 2013.

1. katie

katie Care giver of 4 milkers, one doeling, and One beau

Dec 3, 2012
    Centerburg OH
    One of our goats just got over a sore on her udder that bled. I out salve on it and that helped but then another one of our goats got the same thing. and now another one is getting a sore like it except it doesn't bleed. Am I doing things wrong? why do they keep getting sores? Do I need to clean it better?:whatgoat: I feel really bad for my goats because it hurts them.

2. happybleats

happybleats Active Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    can you post a picture of the sore., you say the sore is painful?...is it a single sore? does she have fever...Im sure its nothing you did or didnt do...goats are complicated animals..: )

3. katie

Dec 3, 2012
    Centerburg OH
    they don't have fevers. yes it's just a single. It's a lot like wound that we have with a scab over top. every time I milk the scab comes off and it starts bleeding.

4. katie

Dec 3, 2012
    Centerburg OH
    they arn't very painful but enough that it annoys them

5. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    its hard when they are in the milking spots ; ( Might put a bandaid during milking to protect the scab..just remove it when you are done...
    are the sores in the same spot as the other doe? perhaps something that they like to rub on or lay near...( just trying to get an idea here lol) same size and shape..?? what kind of salve did you use on it before?

6. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

They probably have staph infection. You may want to clean their udders at least twice a day with Chlorhexidine. Put a little NuStock on it after milking.

7. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    what is puzzling me Karen is its just one sore...??? Would staph be only one spot? its strange...if it was infectious you would think there would be more than one sore...I asked a ton of questions..but inquiring minds need to know ;)

8. katie

Dec 3, 2012
    Centerburg OH
    they are not in the same places and they have varied in size a little. I will try the band aid idea. they are not in the same place. yes they are the same shape.

9. katie

Dec 3, 2012
    Centerburg OH
    Do you think baby wipes would work? my mom still has some left over from our last baby. If not where can I get Chlorhexidine

10. katie

Dec 3, 2012
    Centerburg OH
    I don't know it doesn't seem to be infectious and yes it is just one spot they continue giving a good amount of milk and eating drinking. Another posibility is that there is somehting in our stall or along our fence that their udders are catching on and getting hurt

11. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I would check your stalls and fences...any where they roam...just to be sure... especially areas they all seem to love to be...baby wipes are fine for cleaning the udder and teats before milking.but not sure they would help the sore ; ) we use vinegar and water as a wash for udder and teat cleaning...its not drying and conditions the udder as it kill bacteria : ) and its cheap...ha.

12. katie

Dec 3, 2012
    Centerburg OH
    that's a good idea to use vinegar water. I will check to make sure they are not ripping open there udders. thank you for the advice

13. katie

Dec 3, 2012
    Centerburg OH
    I have another question that doesn't have to do with sores. Can you dirink the does milk after giving her a tetanus shot?

14. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

yes

15. katie

Dec 3, 2012
    Centerburg OH
    O.K. This doesn't have a lot to do with sores but I didn't want to start a new thread. This year when I started milking my does their udders were a pinkish color now three of them are navy blue. Is it something from my skin that is making them turn this color It is really confusing me. Has anyone delt with this before? Is it a problem?

16. serenityfarmnm

serenityfarmnm Newbie, Head over Heels in Love!

Jan 6, 2013
    Caballo, NM
    I would start a new thread asap titled "Navy blue udders":eek:

17. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Navy Blue? could you post pixs?? How are they other wise? Soft or hard..hot or just regular warm? milk production good or low? Mom has temp? eating pooping peeing ok?

18. katie

Dec 3, 2012
    Centerburg OH
    It's been a few months since she's had them. they look and feel normal. her milk is fine. I don't think posting pics will help a lot. They just look normal except for color. There milk production is fine. They're giving their normal amounts. Is it really that big of a deal? They're doing fine. I haven't checked their temps except for one and hers is normal.

19. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

Probably just changed color if there are no other signs of problems.

20. katie

Dec 3, 2012
    Centerburg OH
    O.K Thank you If you change your mind and think of something that it could be please tell me.