Staggering nanny

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by anawhitfield, Oct 14, 2013.

1. anawhitfield

anawhitfield Member

Jun 8, 2013
    Buford, Georgia
    I have a sanaan nanny who has been staggering and can't keep her balance. She keeps tilting her head to the left and her eyeballs are jumpy. She is strong enough to stand and walk, eats well, urine & feeces are normal and temp is 100.2.
    Yesterday i started anti inflamatory, antibiotic and B Complex.
    Any advice? Could this be copper deficiency?

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

3. anawhitfield

anawhitfield Member

Jun 8, 2013
    Buford, Georgia
    Could this be inner ear infection or meningitis or polio?

4. enchantedgoats

enchantedgoats New Member

Jun 2, 2013
    NEW HAMPSHIRE
    more likely polio get that thiamine into her quick

5. anawhitfield

anawhitfield Member

Jun 8, 2013
    Buford, Georgia
    I started her on fast acting long acting antibiotic and on Thiamine yesterday. Anything else i can do?
    She is one of my best looking goats and i'd hate to lose her.

6. anawhitfield

anawhitfield Member

Jun 8, 2013
    Buford, Georgia
    How often (daily?)and what dose of Thiamine? She is about 80lbs

7. ThreeHavens

ThreeHavens 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    Just keep up with it, be aggressive. You can kick this but you have to keep at it. Also, be careful, if this is listeriosis that can, though rarely, be transmitted to people.

8. ThreeHavens

ThreeHavens 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    There's advice on dosing in the articles Karen posted. I'm praying for your girl!

Since symptoms of Goat Polio can easily look like Listeriosis, this writer recommends that procaine pencillin also be used. Better to cover both possible illnesses with appropriate treatments when symptoms are so similar than risk the goat's dying. Administer high doses of procaine penicillin (300,000 International Unit strength) every six hours on a 24-hour basis until all symptoms have disappeared and another 24 hours have passed. Higher-than-normal dosage of procaine penicillin is needed to cross the blood brain barrier to put sufficient amounts of the antibiotic into the tissue of the goat's central nervous system. A chart of dosage by bodyweight accompanies this article. Give this medication SQ over the ribs with an 18 gauge needle so that the goat doesn't become a pin cushion of holes from repeated injections. Very Important: Continue all treatment until 24 hours *after* the last symptom has disappeared to avoid a relapse.

9. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

Every 6 hours on a 24 hour cycle until better. Definitely read through the articles. They give you specific details on dosage and frequency.

10. anawhitfield

anawhitfield Member

Jun 8, 2013
    Buford, Georgia
    Yesterday I gave her 5cc penicilin (IM), 4cc Thiamine and 1.5 cc Nuflor and i ran to the vet for more. Two hrs later i gave 4cc Nuflor(SQ) and 4cc Dexamethasone for pain & inflamation.
    The vet said to give her the Nuflor antibiitic every other day and the Dexa (for pain& inflamation) every day but didn't say anything about Thiamine. I'm waiting for a call back from him.
    I wanna be agressive with the tratment but i don't wanna overdose her either.

11. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

You do have to be aggressive with the thiamine. Whatever she doesn't need, she will pee out. You can't overdose.

Stressing again the need to be aggressive with the thiamine. It has to be in high enough doses to pass the blood brain barrier.

12. liz

liz New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Are you giving her straight Thiamine or are you referring to the thiamine in a bottle of Fortified B Complex?

sorry but I read your first postings and gathered that you dosed with the B Complex.

Also... I dosed 2 separate goats with 1cc per 10lbs of Pen G EVERY 6 HOURS in case it was Listeria AND for a 35 lb 5 month old doe that did have polio, I had Fortified B Complex on hand and had to dose VERY HIGH to get enough Thiamine into her system to help... I did 2 sub q injections over each ribs of 6cc each..... and continued every 6 hours, after the initial B Complex injections, her symptoms improved greatly. PLEASE get this into your girl ASAP, quick treatment results in faster recovery and continue treatment with the PEN G 2x a day for 5 days at a rate of 1cc per 10lbs and the Thiamin is a script from a vet and dosed at 1cc per 25lbs if it is the 200ml per cc bottle.
    My doe recovered fully and did have some lasting neurological effects for 6 weeks afterwards, however she is healthy and did end up giving me a set of twins and a set of quads.

13. happybleats

happybleats Active Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    GREAT ADVICE GIVEN...we have seen both listeriosis and polio a lot this year..these ladies know what they are talking about..if your vet wont give Thiamine give Fortifed B complex..it has enough thiamine in it to help help...as stated be aggressive!
    Keep us postd! best wishes

14. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Yep listen to them. Lot of vets are not great with goats.

Keep us posted how she is doing.

15. anawhitfield

anawhitfield Member

Jun 8, 2013
    Buford, Georgia
    This is day 3. I've had her on Nuflor 4cc every 48 hrs. Dexamethasone 4cc daily and Thiamine 4cc twice a day. I see very little improvement. She walks a litle better but still leaning to one side and her head is still pulling left. Although she is making efforts to follow the herd, seek shelter and food, etc. Everything else is normal (appetite, feces/urine, temp, socializing with other animals).
    Should i give a little while longer or should i make plans to put her down?
    I will wait as long as it takes but at the same time i don't want her to suffer if this is hopeless.

16. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
  17. anawhitfield

anawhitfield Member

Jun 8, 2013
    Buford, Georgia
    My vet said the Nuflor i've been giving her has Pen G (penicilin) in it.
    Shoild i be looking for something else? Where do i buy the PenG?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  18. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    Give Pen instead of nuflor, it does no good for what she has. :(

19. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

I would be doing more Thiamin. Are you using Thiamin or B Complex? I would be giving it to her at least 3 times per day. Plus depending on what you are using, I might change the amount. You really have to be aggressive about it.

You can buy Pen G at TSC. You need an antibiotic that you are giving daily to guarantee to keep the levels up. Plus you will need to give it at least twice a day.

Read over those links again and follow the instructions. I just really think that your doe isn't getting enough thiamin and antibiotic to get over this.

We do understand that it is hard to go against the advice of your vet. But I think in this instance, he/she is not being aggressive enough.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  20. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I agree with Karen...Vets mean well but most are not living a goats life like many of us here who most have at one time or another have gone through what you are dealing with...experiance is invaluable...