still hunched,acting sick!! fallen and can't get up. help!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by freedomstarfarm, May 1, 2011.

1. I have posted about this kid before. I bought her and her half sister 4-11 from a "tested clean herd". She has never been right and I can't reach the breeder yet. I took them to my vet for CD&T shots (at 8wks she had not had a previous shot), fecal test and checkups upon purchase.
    Fecal clean.
    Temp normal.
    Eating and drinking fine. (I didn't change her food bought the same kind)
    I gave probiotics and electrolytes and pepto (she had soft poop)
    I got the poop normal after a few days but she still was hunched over and tail tucked.
    Went back to my vet; did another fecal (also clear) went ahead and treated for cocci 1 wk daily AM with Albon just in case. And gave probiotics PM daily to help restore rumen.
    I have also given NutraDrench 2 times.
    She has minerals and baking soda and hay all free choice.
    I do think she wasn't weaned like I had been told (she was with mom when I went to pick her up) Could this be the only cause and what can help that now?
    Here we are tomorrow will be 3 weeks and she is still hunched over tail up only sometimes. Vitals still normal. Stomach functions normal (gurgling sounds in there).
    Someone please have a suggestion!! I don't know what else to do for her. She comes right over to me when I go outside and I wish I knew how to help her. :hair: :GAAH: :?

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    Re: kid still hunched over acting sick!! but no other sympto

Is it cold weather there?

3. Re: kid still hunched over acting sick!! but no other sympto

Some days have been cool and wet but not cold and even on nice warm days like today she acts the same. :sigh:
    Oh and she has not gained weight!!!

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

hmm this is an odd one -- makes me think its a birth defect issue for her in her development

5. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon

Hmmm... I have a doe kid...well she is over a year now. But she always acts like that when it is cold or wet. It seems she likes to put all her little feet as close together as possible, hunch up and puff herself like a proud parrot or something. She used to do it no matter the weather. She hasn't done it for the last couple of months at all (turned a year old in February). When I bought her she was stunted and seemed malnourished. I started giving her Vit A/E/D/B12 gel every couple of weeks and gave her plenty of high quality grain and free choice quality hay and she came out of it.

How is her behavior besides that? Is she perky, does she have a good appetite, does she play?

6. Re: kid still hunched over acting sick!! but no other sympto

She is alert and walks fine but is not active or playful like a little goat should be. She seams to have a normal appetite and also chews her cud.
    I have been thinking like you are both saying that she may have been born this way with a defect or been malnourished and stunted.
    I think I may try a BoSe shot. I can't get a hold of the breeder to see if she has already had them. I figure it has been 3 weeks so even if she had had them its been long enough that it wont be too much. I am at a loss as what else to try. :scratch:

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california

Hmmm....that is confusing.... wish I knew more... :hug:

8. Re: kid still hunched over acting sick!! but no other sympto

Thanks Pam. It is so frustrating. I want to help her and just can't figure out how! :(

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california

Your welcome.... :hug:

Yeah... I don't know either.. as she doesn't have any other symptoms to go with it..so she can be helped....it is a new one on me and I Pray... you find n answer for her... :hug: :pray:

10. Re: kid still hunched over acting sick!! but no other sympto

Gave BoSe injection. Hoping it may help a little.

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california

:hug: :pray:

12. Re: kid still hunched over acting sick!! but no other sympto

She is a bit perkier today. Her tail is up somewhat at least BUT I just ran out there because when I looked again
    She was laying on her side bleating and couldn't get up! Oh this poor girl. :sigh: I picked her up and stood her on her feet and she is acting ok but kinda staring off into space. ????

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

do you have any thiamine? She needs some ASAP

14. Re: kid still hunched over acting sick!! but no other sympto

No. Can I get it from the drug store for people or do I need to go to the vet?

15. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Re: still hunched,acting sick!! fallen and can't get up. hel

if you can find fortified B complex then that will do

16. Re: still hunched,acting sick!! fallen and can't get up. hel

I will go to the store now. If they only have tablet form will that worked all crushed up? She is nibbling hay again.

17. Re: still hunched,acting sick!! fallen and can't get up. hel

OK I found a vet that would sell it to me since my vet isn't open till tonight.
    When I got home she was down again; on her side legs straight out.
    I gave her .05cc Thiamine intramuscular as per the vets advice. Then I stood her back up. She is grazing again but still kinda out of it. When should I give the Thiamine again?

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

My friend is dealing with a similar situation but the vet ruled out polio as the thiamine didn't work. We are focusing on listeriosis and possible menegeal worm.

Um will have to look into how often - do a search for polio in goats on Google. There is a great site that will come up and it gives dosages and how often etc.

Im on my phone so its harder for me

19. Re: still hunched,acting sick!! fallen and can't get up. hel

Read the site and will see if the Thaimine has any effect over the next few hours.

!!!!!!
    Now her temp is low! 99.8! All prior checks she was about 102.6-102.2
    I am thinking possible liver failure?

20. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

Oh that wouldn't be good. Not sure about it but beings she has been "off" for so long im sure things are way out of whack :(