Stinky goat breath???

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by rrooster76, Feb 1, 2011.

1. rrooster76

rrooster76 New Member

Jan 29, 2011
    East Central Minnesota
    I have a yearling alpine doe we raised from a bottle baby. She has and always has had "stinky" breath.. Kind of hard to describe the "stink"... just a stronger odor.

Anyone ever heard of such a thing or the causes?? Not really a big issue just kind of strange. Other people have noticed this as well with her...

Doesn't seem to affect her at all.. healthy, up to date on shots/deworming etc.

Same grain/hay/mineral supp as everyone else.

:whatgoat: Any thoughts?? Thanks

2. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Could she have a bad tooth?

3. Robynlynn

Robynlynn New Member

Jan 18, 2011
    NW Iowa
    :wink: I have noticed when my goats "urp" up their cud it can be a bit stinky...
    Is this what you are smelling???

4. rrooster76

rrooster76 New Member

Jan 29, 2011
    East Central Minnesota
    Never really opened her mouth to look at her teeth.. not really an infected/rotten kind of smell.. just a lot stronger cud smell, if that makes any sense>>..

A healthy doe, good weight and "bottle baby" friendly :wink:

thanks for the thoughts..

5. liz

liz New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    You can try giving her some probiotics, it will help with good bacteria in the gut and help speed things up as far as the fermenting process in the rumen, it might alter the bad breath.... I know it works well with "gassy" dogs.

6. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I have one that has a strong breath than my others.....so maybe it's just her :)

7. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Alfalfa breath is the worse. gag. I never knew it could smell like that! They like to urp it up when I'm bent over and at face level. :shocked: :laugh:

Gina

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    I agree with that..... I'd say.... it is just the Doe.....if it isn't a rotten... like infection smell ...she should be OK...also... give her some baking soda.... it helps with odor and the gut..... :wink: