Stubborn Newborn Boer Bucks Are Teat Dumb

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Farm570, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Farm570

Farm570 New Member

Apr 9, 2014
    I just had 2 big healthy bucks born about 6 hours ago. 11.8 and 12.3 lbs
    They were on their feet in no time, but they are teat dumb....they cannot find the teat on their own and will not let me help. They get all tense and scream bloody murder when I try to assist. I gave each a shot of Fortified B Complex in hopes it will wake up those stubborn brains. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with this problem?

2. nicolemackenzie

nicolemackenzie Active Member

Dec 27, 2014
    Be persistent....

Make sure milk can come out of the teats. Milk a little off if she's really tight ( save any you milk off!)

Put some milk on the teat. Pry mouth open and insert teat and hold him there.

Keep trying.

Do a bottle of colostrum if you need to. You want them to get that in in the first few hours.

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

I'd give them each a bottle then continue to work on them.

4. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    This is what I do. Grab them by the back of the head (don't lift just keep them there by the tear) let them scream and as they scream out the tear in their mouth and squeeze a little milk in their mouth. They catch on pretty fast. Usually if you pry their mouth open they are so annoyed they will clamp down on the teat once you get it in, or it's hard to actually get the teat in and I always worry I'll cut it with their teeth

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    I do the same but do pry the mouth open, squirt a little in their mouth, release them, they taste that and get interested. I then tickle their tail head area and they want it all the more, trying to look for it. I repeat until they are really eager, then, from the back of the udder area, hold the teat upward so they find it better and latch on. Tickle the tail head at the same time. Also you can get a 12 cc syringe and feed colostrum that way at first, feed it slowly at the back corner of their mouths at the same time, insert you index finger in the mouth move it slightly in and out still leaving it inside the mouth, after a while, this should trigger the suck reflex, feed another 12 cc's and if you get that reflex then put them on the teat and do as I described above.

If they still do not get the suck reflex they may need a small Bo-Se shot.

Good luck.

6. Farm570

Farm570 New Member

Apr 9, 2014
    I finally got them to latch on after milking the doe and transitioning them from the bottle to the teat. The boys were born so thick and healthy, I think it took them a while to actually get hungry. The doe has a huge udder for a Boer, she is a big beautiful doe almost 200 lbs. I can tell already these 2 boys are going to be trouble....haha!

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    Good to hear, nice work. :)