Featured swollen knee

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by gwith, Aug 7, 2017.

1. gwith

gwith Member

Aug 12, 2014
    Weatherford, Tx
    One of my boys show market goats has a swollen knee. It entire knee is about 2/3 the size of a baseball. I would guess the total increase is about 15cc. He walks and runs fine. It only seems painful when I really mess hard with it. It is fluid filled. The fluid is under the skin and in front of the knee bones (behind that knee pad). I put a needle in there and pulled about 10cc of a yellowish liquid out of it. The fluid was as thin as water.

I am not sure what to do now. Usually, lance and administer antibiotics. This is a market goat that can't have medicines. I want to treat it, but I don't want my son disqualified.

2. gwith

gwith Member

Aug 12, 2014
    Weatherford, Tx

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    Hopefully the area was shaved and cleaned well before inserting the needle. And a new needle and syringe was used. Bacteria can be introduced easily.

Have it tested for bacteria.
    Or it may be a hematoma from injury.

mariarose and TDG-Farms like this.
  4. gwith

gwith Member

Aug 12, 2014
    Weatherford, Tx
    I took him to the vet. She said that the goat has been kneeling too much and the skin separated from the connective tissue. The void filled with fluid. It will continue to happen if he continues to kneel more than normal. So we are trying to figure out why he kneels so much. Honestly I don't know if I have ever seen him kneel.

5. wifeof1

wifeof1 Active Member

Mar 17, 2016
    Boulevard, CA
  6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    Oh wow, hmm, I wonder if the make knee pads for goats.

7. gwith

gwith Member

Aug 12, 2014
    Weatherford, Tx
    His feed is up high so he has to stand on his back legs to get it. I wonder if he has been dumping it out and eating off the ground. Or maybe he is eating fallen hay off the ground.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Goat Forum mobile app

toth boer goats likes this.
  8. kathy_

kathy_ New Member

Mar 10, 2017
    Mine kneels a lot eating through the fence. They think the grass is greener on the other side.

9. mariarose

mariarose Active Member

Oct 23, 2014
    SouthCentralKY, USA
    How are his hooves? When I see mine kneeling to eat I know I have been a bad, bad goat owner and neglected hoof care.

10. kathy_

kathy_ New Member

Mar 10, 2017
    Kneeling to eat is not necessarily because one has been a bad, bad goat owner for mine gets their hoofs trimmed at least once a month.

11. mariarose

mariarose Active Member

Oct 23, 2014
    SouthCentralKY, USA
    I was not pontificating about anyone else's goat owning, just relating how my own failings might be relevant to the original post. My goats only kneel to eat when I have been negligent (or they want to eat through the fence...)

12. gwith

gwith Member

Aug 12, 2014
    Weatherford, Tx
    This is a show goat and he is in the barn. There is nothing on the ground in his pen or around his pen. The only food that could be there is something he spilled or my boys spilled.

His hoofs are great. They grow fast because of his diet, but they are trimmed once a months. It is odd that you said something about his hoofs. I trimmed them the day before this showed up. I wonder if that had anything to do with it. They were only about 3/16" too long before I trimmed them.

13. mariarose

mariarose Active Member

Oct 23, 2014
    SouthCentralKY, USA
    Well, you are on top of the hoof thing, so that is not the cause of excess kneeling. My sole idea is shot.

I hope you figure it out, I really do.

14. mariarose

mariarose Active Member

Oct 23, 2014
    SouthCentralKY, USA
    I know nothing about the show world. Are pharmaceutical drugs the only things banned? I'm wondering if feeding ground fresh garlic (an overall antibiotic), or using a topical application of essential oils like mint would also be verboten. What about a hemorrhoid cream? Would that help swelling?

If the garlic is allowed, I would at least try that.

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    If you trimmed him and it was short, he may of stepped on a rock or something causing him to drop to the ground on his knee causing that.

After trimming, goats hoof bottoms are softer, if it is to the pink when you stop or blood is hit, it is even more sensitive. Stone bruising is another thing that can happen.

mariarose likes this.