Tapeworms

Discussion in 'Parasites' started by Tabbytabtab, Sep 12, 2013.

1. happybleats

happybleats moderator

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas

WOW...I have read this before and totally missed it!!
    http://www.sheepandgoat.com/articles/tapeworms.html
    very interesting..makes total sense!!!

2. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you

Apr 13, 2011
    Oregon Coast Range
    Oh good, you found it. I didn't want to load up the database tonight...too lazy.

3. Tabbytabtab

Tabbytabtab New Member

Jan 13, 2013
  4. happybleats

happybleats moderator

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    so no need to treat him for mites, just the tape lol..:D :idea:

5. Does anyone know where I can get a FAMACHA score card?
    Thanks
    Laura

6. Tabbytabtab

Tabbytabtab New Member

Jan 13, 2013
    What other wormers take care of tapeworms? I've done another round of Valbazen for 3 days. He still has worms all over his butt and the sacs are in his poop. He is dropping weight and iron is very low. He is getting very weak. I've been giving him red cell everyday.

7. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

You actually have to take a class to get a score card. Luckily for me, Ohio State has occasional seminars and offers it.

8. Tabbytabtab

Tabbytabtab New Member

Jan 13, 2013
    What other wormers take care of tapeworms? I've done another round of Valbazen for 3 days. He still has worms all over his butt and the sacs are in his poop. He is dropping weight and iron is very low. He is getting very weak. I've been giving him red cell everyday.

9. Tabbytabtab

Tabbytabtab New Member

Jan 13, 2013
    Can you see barber pole worms without microscope?

10. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

No, you can't see barberpole worm. You can see tapeworm and roundworm and pinworm.

What dosage did you use for Valbazen? It should be 1cc per 10 lbs. Have you used Safeguard? That is also 1cc per 10 lbs. Not sure if Levamosol (sp?) takes care of it. That is an old wormer that people sometimes have to use when the other stuff isn't working anymore. But you must dose it correctly.

11. Tabbytabtab

Tabbytabtab New Member

Jan 13, 2013
    We have been dosing 1cc per 10 pounds

12. happybleats

happybleats moderator

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Tpae worms have been bad this year...if three days of valbazen at 1 cc per 10# didnt cut it for you, try safe guard next...

To treat his anemia continue the red cell and also do Vit B 12 which will help him rebuild his red blood cells, High protien feed (if hes no runny), alfalfa and green leaves also support hyis rebuilding red blood cells
    Mix 50/50 ACV/WATER AND dose 20 cc daily
    keep him hydrated while he battles the worms..

here is a bit of light reading on tape worms : ) a few ideas on treatment here.

13. Tabbytabtab

Tabbytabtab New Member

Jan 13, 2013
    Thank you

14. Tabbytabtab

Tabbytabtab New Member

Jan 13, 2013
    The tapeworms keep coming back. I've used Valbazen, safeguard horse wormer, cydectin and panacur. I'm at my wits end. Poor little fella won't grow at all. Does anyone know of any natural wormers that will get rid of these little boogers?

15. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

16. Tabbytabtab

Tabbytabtab New Member

Jan 13, 2013
    Thank you. I will order some and hopefully it helps.

17. happybleats

happybleats moderator

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    how often are you worming? with tape it has to be 3 days in a row...you might need to up the dose !
    here is a quote on other ways to treat tape

18. I am going to order the Fir Meadow product as well, same issue, my little guy is just not growing, everyone else is progressing nicely....