Tattoo kits

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Goatzrule, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Active Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New Hampshire
    I am looking for a tattoo kit. Would like one with a realse, we have ND and LaManchas. What colors do you prefer and where did you get yours

2. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Active Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New Hampshire
    we were looking at .300 or 5/16. The .300 says its good for tail webs and small ears, but doesnt come with a release. The 5/16 says "not as convenient for kids with very small ears.The 5/16 inch tattoo tongs hold up to five digits. Smaller than standard cattle tattoo tongs, but tattoo marks are still easily readable. Convenient for use on small kids." and was slightly confused

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

You are better off with the one that holds 5 digits and has the release.

4. JK_Farms

JK_Farms Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    Im also looking to get a tattoo kit where do you get them at? Mine is for Nubian and Kikos and Kiko pygmy crosses

5. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Active Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New Hampshire
    You can get any at caprine supply. The 5/16 comes with the realse. My problem is finding something that can fit ND and LaManchas

6. fivemoremiles

fivemoremiles Member

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    What about tattoo pens? they work good on rabbits just thought they would work well on a tail tattoo.

7. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Active Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Tattoo pens would be too difficult to hold the kids still long enough and to make it legable

8. J.O.Y. Farm

J.O.Y. Farm ~Crazy Goat Lady~

Jan 10, 2012
    New Hampshire
    Kelsie we got ours from Caprine Supply I believe, we used it for all our kids.. ND's LaManchas and Nubians.. :)
    I have a tattoo pen, never did get around to trying it out... was planning to try it on some wethers.. but I know a few people that have used them, and liked them...

9. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Active Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New Hampshire
    No but i need to know what size. theres three different sizes and I dont know which one to get. I was already planning on getting it from Caprine, i just need the size because only 5/16 and the larger one comes with a realse but they both say not for smaller ears.

10. HobbyFarm

HobbyFarm New Member

Oct 13, 2016
  11. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Active Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New Hampshire
    No my question is. Will 5/q6 fit a nigerian kid and will if fit a lamancha kid. please let me know i need t order one soon

12. MoonShadow

MoonShadow FancyDay Farm

Mar 1, 2015
    The 5/16 size with ear release should work fine on both.

Green ink works best on dark and light colored goats, unlike black ink which only works well on light colored goats.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  13. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Active Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New Hampshire
    oh good, i was thinking of buy two different colors but thats easier.

14. sassykat6181

sassykat6181 Katrina

Nov 28, 2012
    Anderson, SC
    I've always used the green ink

15. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    I use mine on Nigerians and LaManchas. It is a 5/16.

16. DawnStar

DawnStar Member

May 19, 2013
    Arizona
    We use a KB Tatts Rabbit Tattooing pen for our Nigerians, Mini La Manchas, and La Manchas. It works for ears AND tail webs. We do it when they are 8-10 days old, its easy when they are this small to have some one restrain the kids ;)