Tetanus antitoxin/vaccine HELP

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Auto4dad, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Auto4dad

Auto4dad New Member

Jan 7, 2017
    Do to having no experience in livestock and some confusion with the breader we recently lost a 3month old buckling to tetanus. The very next day we vaccinated our other buckling who lived literally on top of the buckling who got tetanus. My question is, is there something other than the tetanus vaccine that I can give the healthy buckling now. He was banded and LIVING with a buckling that got tetanus so I believe he has a high probability of getting tetanus. I want to do everything I can to help prevent the other little guy from getting tetanus. I read something about a antitoxin but every time I do a google search to buy it all that comes up is the vaccine. Are they the same thing ???

2. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    No! Go to valley vet (probably Jeffers has it as well) and get the antitoxin. It comes in 5ml little bottles. Give that to him and it will cover him for 14 days. I would get some extra and have on hand, but anyways it's for a short term protection. Also it will candle out the vaccine you gave him. So in 14 days after the shot either give another OR vaccinate him. If you give another wait 14 days again but by 14 days he should be pretty much healed up. I vaccinate but if someone ends up with a deep cut they get the antitoxin. Vaccinations are not 100%

3. Auto4dad

Auto4dad New Member

Jan 7, 2017
    Ok thank you very much! Is the dosing on the bottle? Are there any risks to giving him the antitoxin? As of now he is not showing any signs of illness.

4. happybleats

happybleats Active Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    2 cc for kids..full vile for adults.its precautionary..so fine to give now. Also vit c helps detox the system and garlic is an immune booster.

5. Auto4dad

Auto4dad New Member

Jan 7, 2017
    Thank you for this info. We got two more bucks so our little guy wouldn't be lonely. They are 4 months old and ready to be banded.... I'm going cross eyed trying to find a dose for nigerian dwarf kids. Everything I read says give the whole 5cc/1500 units. That seems like a lot for such a small animal.... where did you get the 2cc from? I even called a vet and they are looking into it. :-/

6. Auto4dad

Auto4dad New Member

Jan 7, 2017
    I found this on Fias site... but then your read the instructions in the box and it says to give the entire 5cc/1500 units. :-/

Attached Files:

7. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    We have always done 2 cc for kids of all sizes. Cant recall where i actually learned that lol

8. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I'm pretty sure those Viles are for horses. You can give the whole thing it won't hurt them, I just did that with a doe that was sick and I wanted to cover everything and she lived threw it, it just may be a waste. Mine was right at expiring so figured use it before I forget it's expired and think I have it.

9. Auto4dad

Auto4dad New Member

Jan 7, 2017
    I appreciate all the help guys. It Sounds like 2cc is a safe dose. I just do not want a repeat of a goat getting tetanus. What a cruel disease.

10. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Agreeed...prevention is important. I had a baby donkey with tetanus...we got him through it but took months to get 100%. Hes a geld here now..a.sweet boy

11. Pasnsas

Pasnsas New Member

May 17, 2017
    Newbie question if my buckling has his cdt shot does need the tetanus antitoxin before I band him? Want my baby to stay healthy and know that I'm doing it the right way

12. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Depends on when he had his cdt. How old is he, and when is the last vaccination date?

13. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Your going to get different answers to this. Some people will give the cdt again or for the first time at times like banding and disbudding, some will give the antitoxin, I'm not sure if anyone just goes off of their vaccine they had in the past, at least I've never heard of it.
    Me? I give the antitoxin. It makes more sense to ME to do it this way. A vaccine is giving them a small dose of what you are vaccinating against, let's take tetanus for a example. So the vaccine gives a small dose of tetanus in a way. It's small and will not cause them to have symptoms of the disease just kinda fool the body so it can make antibodies against it. The antitoxin will keep them from getting tetanus for 14 days......it will totally kill it basically which is why if you do decide to go with the antitoxin then you will have to revaccinate him after the 14 days and a booster 3 weeks later

14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    CD&T will cover them if given semi recent, and the booster shot was given as well.

15. Pasnsas

Pasnsas New Member

May 17, 2017
    He is a month old today and was gave his CD&T shot on the 16th of may

16. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
    I would give the antitoxin.

17. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

Don't band him till at least 8 weeks old. If he is only a month old now, you will be fine.

18. Pasnsas

Pasnsas New Member

May 17, 2017
    Thank you all for the help

19. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    I agree with Karen.
    Just give him the booster shot when it is due and then after, he should be OK to band, at 8 weeks old.

Last edited: May 20, 2017