Too much alfalfa?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by HappyHarrisFarm97, Sep 30, 2013.

1. HappyHarrisFarm97

HappyHarrisFarm97 New Member

Apr 12, 2013
    F my goats are used to eating about a bucket full of alfalfa hay twice each day, would it be possible for them to eat too much of it if they somehow got into, say, the entire bale? I know they will stop eating when they don't want any more, but can they eat too much hay?

2. Little-Bits-N-Pieces

Little-Bits-N-Pieces Active Member

Apr 7, 2013
    CA
    Not really no, I free choice feed mine, so they can eat hay all day long if they want to

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    Some may over eat and if their bodies can't handle it , will start scouring. Alflafa can be rich feed to some, depending on the cut and if they are not use to it ect. So be careful. If you are going to start them out on it, do it gradually and slowly.

4. ptgoats45

ptgoats45 Goat Girl

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Oklahoma
    They could possibly over eat on the hay if they aren't used to a large amount of it, most goats are smart enough to stop when full but some don't. If they are accustomed to having hay free choice, they won't over eat it's kind of like being on pasture all the time, they will eat some, sleep some, play some and eat some more, etc.

5. MsScamp

MsScamp New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Wyoming
    It's going to depend on the size of the bale, and the number of animals. It's possible for an animal to over eat anything they are not used in large quantities - even grass hay. When it comes to alfalfa animals usually root through it, if they can, and eat the leaves first. Leaves are easy to digest and do not provide forage. If it happens only once, you are probably looking at diarrhea for a few days and possibly a little bloat depending on the quality and cutting. If it happens over a long period of time, it could get uglier.