Tutorial: Surgically Banding Horns

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Little-Bits-N-Pieces, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Little-Bits-N-Pieces

Little-Bits-N-Pieces New Member

Apr 7, 2013
    CA
    Ok, so I finally got around to banding two of them, have two more to go.

Supplies you will need:
    Clippers with at least a #10 blade, #40-#50 is better.
    Rubbing alcohol or iodine solution
    Towel (for cleaning the area with the solution of choice)
    Lidocaine injectable for deadening the area that you will be cutting (3-4cc per horn)
    Sharpie (optional, for marking the line for the incision)
    Scalpel and blades, the type doesn't matter
    Bander and bands
    Gloves are optional, I never use them.
    Jar for bands

Getting Started: Prep the area
    Start by shaving all around the horn base, the top of the head and as far behind the horn that you can.
    When you get done shaving, blow off the little hairs, then clean the area well.
    Make sure you have your bands soaking in the alcohol or iodine.
    Then, you will mark, if going to, the area you will be cutting, you want to go about 1/4" below the horn ridge.
    20150413_174538.jpg
    20150413_181440.jpg

Lidocaine Injections:
    Draw up a 6cc syringe of lidocaine for each goat you will be banding. I use a 20gX1" needle. You will be injecting the lidocaine SQ around the line you are going to be making for the incision. It can be difficult and take a few times to get it flowing well, just keep trying.
    Once you get it to flow out well when you depress the plunger, "fan" it out to spread it, and rub it around to distribute it 180 degrees around the front of the horn. You will have to make at least 2 "marbles" of the lidocaine. By marbles, the lidocaine will well up and make small marble sized lumps when you get it flowing well.
    When your done injecting it all around, rub the area a few times. Then clean the area again, as there may be some small spots of blood.
    You want to do both horns at the same time, so do one, the the next one right after. That way once you're done injecting the 2nd one, the 1st will be ready for banding. The other will be deadened by the time you're done banding the 1st one.
    20150413_174711.jpg

The Incision:
    To check the area for deadness, take the scalpel blade and poke and prod the area, if the goat flinches, it's not ready. If they don't feel it, proceed.
    When making the incision, the purpose of it is to make it deep enough to hold two bands in it. So the depth is roughly going to be a deep as an un-stretched green band is wide.
    You want to make the incision 180 degrees, so from one side of the horn, all the way around in front to the other side of the horn.
    Keeping the incision below the horn ridge, get it nice and deep to hold the bands in.
    There is hardly any blood during this procedure, so don't worry about it spurting or bleeding like a stuck pig.
    Also, do one horn at a time.
    20150413_175540.jpg
    20150413_175544.jpg

Banding: The hardest part!
    The goat won't feel you doing this, thanks to the lidocaine, but this is truly the hardest part! Getting the dang thing over the horn and to the base with part of the little bander arm slipping part of the band off, or it popping off the bander prematurely, or the goat moved ever so slightly and it came off in the wrong spot. Trial and error, it may take you 20 tries before you get one band on.... or maybe I'm just exceptionally challenged in the art of using a bander :lol:
    But fear not, if you mess up, just roll the band off and throw it back in the alcohol jar, grab another band and try again.
    20150413_180309.jpg
    20150413_183103.jpg
    20150413_183116.jpg

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

Great tutorial! Thanks!

3. CritterCarnival

CritterCarnival Yes Dear Goat Farm

Sep 17, 2013
    Western Kentucky
    Wonderful tutorial. Will you be posting weekly updates so we can get an idea how it should look as it progresses?? I would love to see the process all the way through.

4. Little-Bits-N-Pieces

Apr 7, 2013
    CA
    Yep, I'll keep you all posted. One of them might not turn out as great, the bands kept lifting on the inside-side, should have cut a bit deeper there, if that makes any sense :lol:

5. happybleats

happybleats moderator

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Might slip.that back down and tape it in place.for a few.days...good tutorial Lacy..look forward to updates

6. NyGoatMom

NyGoatMom Shady Acre Homestead

Awesome Lacie! Thanks so much for posting this....gonna save this page :)

7. TDG-Farms

TDG-Farms Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State

Jul 12, 2013
    Super great job. And just conforms why Id rather burn em :)

8. Little-Bits-N-Pieces

Apr 7, 2013
    CA
    I think it'll be ok, they each got one good placement with the first band. It's been a while, little rusty at it. But even if that one scurs, it's better than the horns.
    Won't be making that same mistake twice, they're all disbudded this year, nobody gets any horns! :lol:
    I might do the other two today, and I'll get some better pics of the incision, I didn't realize I only got one good picture of it at the halfway mark, until I put the bands on.

9. CritterCarnival

Sep 17, 2013
    Western Kentucky
    Any update? I'm really curious to see how things are progressing.

10. Little-Bits-N-Pieces

Apr 7, 2013
    CA
    Ok, it's been 22 days and here is where we're at now. It is going to take a bit longer that a young kid, as this doe is 1.5yrs old. The last kids I did were 6 months old, and their horns were off by 21-30 days.
    As you can see how much those 1st bands have sunk in, they are now at the point where they are getting sensitive if they bump them. Not wiggling yet though. Also I don't really recommend you try to wiggle them at all, they can come off prematurely, then you have that gaping hole to their sinuses.

Attached Files:

11. Little-Bits-N-Pieces

Apr 7, 2013
    CA
    Don't worry if the other bands slip up, you really only need the one. I always like to put two or three on to help deaden that feeling faster so they aren't screaming amd crying when the lidocaine wears off.
    Totally fine if those others slip up, that first band will do the job.

And apparently I need to repost those first pics?.... :scratch:

12. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    I can't see the attachments??

13. Little-Bits-N-Pieces

Apr 7, 2013
    CA
    Any of them at all? They're showing up on my laptop and phone now...

14. NyGoatMom

That is awesome...I really need to do this for Madeline and LG.

15. CritterCarnival

Sep 17, 2013
    Western Kentucky
    I can see all the pics, thank you so much for documenting the process for us. :hi5:

16. Little-Bits-N-Pieces

Apr 7, 2013
    CA
    Not problem, sorry I didn't get any sooner, not a lot to see before now though. When they start getting loose the weight of the horn causes them to droop and flop at the band site, so I'll get some pictures of that when it happens, and pictures of the tops of their heads when they come off.

Are the pics working for everybody?

17. cameronb

cameronb New Member

May 4, 2015
    can i ask why you disbudd and de-horn your goats

18. Little-Bits-N-Pieces

Apr 7, 2013
    CA
    For safety reasons, show purposes, ease of management, and to me, they look better without horns.

19. NyGoatMom

I can see the pics...great thread Lacie

20. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    I can see them now. Thanks for sharing.