twins how much time between them

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by kritterkeeper, Jul 25, 2009.

1. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    Well Nanny after waiting all day at 5:15 pm gave us a Carmal baby girl YAH! she has always had twins, last year they were 7 min apart it is 8:21 pm and still nothing... she looks like she is busying but nothing like before and she has passed a after birth..

SO WHAT NOW?

Donna B

2. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    if she is restless, ie sitting down, standing up, sitting down, standing up, pushing, looking uncomfortable etc. I would strongly suggest you put your hand in there and feel for another kid.

if she looks settled, is happily standing and looking after the kid, then I'd say you've got a singleton.

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I agree with keren. If she's not straining or anything i'd say that's it. Was the baby a pretty good size or small? If it's pretty small then she very well might have another in there. Twins usually come within 10 min. apart, but this one could be different.

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Oh...just read that she has passed the after birth....I'm pretty confident she's done then. The after birth is just as it sounds... after birth, although I have heard where there are 2 afterbirths.

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Try bouncing her. lock your finger together under her belly, right in front of her udder and pull up a couple times. You should be able to feel if there is another kid in there.

Is she restless like Allison just said?

6. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    She is just laying there panting a little... She cleaned the kid very well and then we took it in the house BECAUSE we are bottle feeding her because of a few of our goat had CL they have been taken care of, but I do not want to take any chances with this one... all the rest of the gaots except the Mom and our one baby from April (he had his first shot still needs his second one) have had the Case Back shot but still want to be on the safe side....

If there is only one I am shocked she has always had twins, I like twins better they keep each other company :(

OH well I will go do the bounce thing and am waiting for a call from a neighbor who has raised Nigerians (SP) for about 20 yrs

Thank you All

Donna B

7. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Not necessarily. I USED to think that if they'd passed the afterbirth they were done.

I had a doe change my mind about that theory though. She dropped twin boys, then the placenta not a problem whatsoever.

In the morning she was sick as a dog, with a third kid wedged in the pelvis, dead, the kid's mouth had come open (as they do when they die) and the teeth had ruptured the uterus and bowel, and she had to be euthanased.

From then, I do not hesitate to put my hand in and check. Chances are you will save lives more often than you will do any harm.

8. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    just read your post, we posted at the same time

if she is just laying there I would definitely check her internally for another kid. I have found that mostly if they are finished, they will stand up and stand over the baby for a long time without sitting down again. And when they sit down it usually means there is more

9. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yeah, I agree with keren, at this point with her still panting I would probably go in too.

10. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    how's she going donna?

11. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    it is 11:39 here! I don't know- she is still just laying down... I am scared to go in!

But i am thinking for peace of mind I have to

Donna B

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if she is still open then go in -- believe me it isnt as scary once you actually do it.

13. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    karen if you are there! How do you attempt to go in

Just a few figure, whole hand we are talking a pygmy here?

Donna B

14. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    and what do I do if I find another baby?

Donna B

15. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Donna, I really think for peace of mind you have to. I can talk you through it if you like. Its scary but not too hard to start with.

First get a bucket of warm water, and if you have it, some disinfectant. Animal grade, or just household grade antiseptic something like that. Something gentle though. Even a bit of just soapy water will do, but its not the best. I prefer to go without rather than use soap.

Wash your arms in the warm water and disinfectant, take off your rings/watch etc. and trim your nails.

Now splash some water on the doe's rear end and try to get her a touch clean. Dont worry if you dont get her or you spotlessly clean.

Now, you probably will need a helper to hold her still, otherwise if that's not available tie her to the fence/stall etc but down low, especially if she is standing when you go in, she will probably lie down.

Now, if you have some obstetrical lube, put that on your dominant hand and rub it all over the arm. You can in a pinch also use baby oil, or the soapy water. Pinch your hand into a triangle/duck bill shape if you get that, cover with the lube, now grasp her tail with the other hand (hold on tight) and gently push your pointed, lubed hand into her vulva.

Now, be warned she will scream but you are not hurting her. She will probably push against your hand and there might be some blood come out. Dont panic. Just gently push further in there, and start swimming around with your hand.

If there is only placenta etc left in there, you will just feel heaps of mush. If there is a kid you will feel something distinctly solid/hard.

Have a really good feel around, dont be afraid to take your time. Be gentle, but make sure you have a thorough feel - you can go into the doe further than you'd think - you might have to go all the way in to your elbow to reach the whole uterus - I've been almost up to my shoulder in a big boer doe.

If you do feel something solid (ie a kid), you then need to concentrate, breathe deep, and try to figure out what you are feeling and how to position it for delivery.

Good luck, I'll be here to help you out. Also, if you are on facebook I'm there if you wanted to chat a bit quicker - Keren Muthsam.

16. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    with a pygmy, you are still going to have to put your whole hand in there and part of your arm. good luck. I'll be here.

17. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    thank you Karen- Pray for me I am going out to attempt to do as you said.. I tried to find you on facebook and it said no such person

you try me Donna Allen Brewer

I will let you know how it goes

Donna B

18. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    good luck Donna

My first name is KEREN with an E, not Karen. thats probably why

but I will find you.

keep me posted, relax, think things through, keep your cool, dont panic

:hug: