Ultra Cruz copper bulus pregnant goats

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by whiteclover, Jan 11, 2017.

1. whiteclover

whiteclover New Member

Jun 28, 2016
    Hello
    I gave copper buluses to my three does a little over four months ago. I used ultacruz. It says goats over 50 lbs get 1 bolus= 4 g. The container says one dose lasts 8months to a year.

All my does weigh over 50 lbs by far. I gave it to them before they were bred and I believe them to all be bred now.
    I have one 11 month stocky doe, one 1.5 yr small doe and one almost 3 yrs that is a good size too. The two older does still seem to have some ruff or frazzled hairs. It seemed to improve at first after the bolus and then hasn't improved since. The 11 month has super smooth fur and has a very nice build.

I know they need copper in their pregnancies and I know some people give more than others. Does anyone have any recommendations. They are Lamachas. They get a good loose mineral every day.
    Thanks Marie

2. odieclark

odieclark Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Following :ponder:

I am anxious to learn as well, and will see what the experienced have to say! But, my feeling and our short experience with goats tells me they need it and waiting is never good in something they need! Especially when carrying kids! You don't want the moms to be deficient as it can make the kids deficient as well!

3. billiejw89

billiejw89 Active Member

I bolus mine 3x a year. Some people do it more, some less. it depends on how deficient your area is. Your does with rough coats may need another dose

4. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Forget where I read this, but I wrote down 1 gram per 22#. I bolus 3-4 times per year. I also have loose minerals and a cobalt block. We have iron in our water which interferes with copper absorption, so for mine, this works best.

5. whiteclover

whiteclover New Member

Jun 28, 2016
    There eye color looks excellent and I have been checking for mites or lice and they have no signs so I figured it must be the copper. If I am supposed to give 1 gram per 22 lbs I under dosed the two older does and the younger doe is above 88 lbs now too, because she's a big girl. So the question is now should I give the copper to the 11 month again to be safe. Or maybe wait with her right before she kids. She is due in 3 months I think.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    No matter what my adults weigh, I give mine 1- 4gm pill. If a goat still shows signs, I will give another one 4 months later. If they look good, I don't give it to those. I rather under dose than to overdose. Remember, they can get other copper in their loose minerals or other sources.

1 month prior to kidding may help the kids.

7. whiteclover

whiteclover New Member

Jun 28, 2016
    OK great advise. The one month before kidding is a reassurance to what I thought may be a good idea for the 11 month doe. Thanks.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    You bet

9. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    Be careful the with Ultra Cruz boluses. I bought them in 2015 and they did not work. I have never had serious copper issues with my herd when I was using the Copasure boluses, but when I changed to the Ultracruz ones my entire herd started showing signs of a serious deficiency. No matter how often I bloused them, they didn't get better. When I switched back to Copasure, the problem went away.

Other people who used the Ultracruz boluses that year had the same problem. Hopefully they took care of the problem, because I wrote and told them about it. Of course, they denied any problems, but too many people were reporting copper issues when using that product.

10. whiteclover

whiteclover New Member

Jun 28, 2016
    Wow I hope that dosnt happen with my goats. Since it's been two years I hope the company has fixed the problem. Does anyone else have any negative experiences with ultra Cruz? If anyone has noticed a positive change in there product or if it works for there herd I would be happy to hear of it.

11. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    You can do a search. There was a loooooong thread on ultracruz a year or two ago...