Unsual shape of Nigerian dwarf buckling's ears

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by MrKamir, Jan 24, 2011.

1. MrKamir

MrKamir New Member

Nov 1, 2009
    texas
    I just recently had a nanny that had 4 babies of which 3 were does and one buckling. Well, all the girls had the Nigis ears that stick straight out but the buckling's ears stick out a little and then droop downwards and out like a nubian but not that long. :whatgoat: I know for a fact who the parents are and I do not have any other goats besides Nigerian Dwarfs. So far, all my other nannies babies have the normal characteristic ears. I don't know if this is normal or if there is a problem with this little guy. Someone already came over to see him and reserved him but I don't want to sell him if this is a deformity. The person specifically wants a registered bucking to breed. I can post a picture if you like. Thank you

2. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

Mine were like that when she was born, then they got better, it could be the way he was positioned inside

3. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

Its normal. We have quite a few babies that have half mast ears. They will erect with time. :)

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Yep, every once in awhile we'll have a kid or two with floppy ears, they stiffen as they grow. They'll look totally normal once they are older. Not uncommon.

5. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    Hmmm... very interesting... I've never seen different ears before...atleast I don't think I have????

Can you post a pic, just so I can understand what you're talking about...pretty please?

6. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Here's a buckling we had born last year...his ears are totally normal now.
    [​IMG]

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    it can be related to selenium deficiency so I usually give a shot of BoSe if they have droopy ears

8. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    That is interesting Stacey...i've never heard of that before. Something to keep in mind in the future.

9. bleatinghearts

bleatinghearts New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    OK, first of all, I demand to see pictures! I bet he is the cutes boy ever! Shoot, just look at Kaylee's pic of her buck with his sweet little ears! I think I love them more with funny ears. So Laura (TinyHoovesRanch) loves waddles, I love silly ears! :clap: Here's a pic of my silly ear girl this year. Her name is Sara.

Attached Files:

10. nova2011

nova2011 New Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Re: MAJYK HILLS FARMS

:wave: Hi guys!! I'm Majyk Hills - Mary Jo Clendening - I have had ND's since early 1980's in Texas and Yes, Nova was AGS 2010 winning doe handled by Andrea Forrest. I still have ND's they are currently are at Lovelandltd@earthlink.net for breeding. I had started with LaManchas & I still love Goats. mjoclendening@yahoo.com. We are active breeding farm of ND's. I can trace ND lineage back to the beginning of Goodwood Farms.

11. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    Re: MAJYK HILLS FARMS

Try posting that in the Welcome area ;)

12. Goat Crazy

Goat Crazy New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    NE Ohio
    I had 2 kids last year with droppy ears. The one just had really thick ears and they were to heavy for her at first.

13. nigerianmeadows

nigerianmeadows New Member

Dec 12, 2010
    North Carolina
    Love the pic posted by bleatinhearts, lol! Sooo cute! :love:

14. MrKamir

MrKamir New Member

Nov 1, 2009
    texas
    Well, they did straightened out over time. Soon he will be with his new owner.

Attached Files:

• cj 2.jpg
      cj 2.jpg
      File size:
      63.7 KB
      Views:
  15. MrKamir

MrKamir New Member

Nov 1, 2009
    texas
    Here's his before picture.

Attached Files: