Urinary Calculi?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by CarolineZelda, Jan 8, 2017.

1. CarolineZelda

CarolineZelda Cliff Haven Farm

Aug 15, 2016
    Maryland
    I have one Nigerian Dwarf wether who is almost 3 years old and has been pretty healthy to date. For a while now, he has been kind of hunching to the side while peeing and his stream of urine isn't strongest but it is still a stream. I didn't think anything of it and thought he was just acting bucky or something since I've seen bucks do the hunch thing to pee on themselves.

He and his sister just get free choice grass hay and forage, and if he ever gets grain it is Noble Goat, which is medicated with Ammonium Chloride. They also have free choice minerals and baking soda. It didn't occur to me until today that this hunching could be UC, since he never yells or strains without anything coming out like I've read about. I just bought a tub of Ammonium Chloride recently actually, and was going to start giving him some once a week for prevention, but should I try treating him for stones instead? Does this hunching sound like UC?

Thanks

2. MoonShadow

MoonShadow FancyDay Farm

Mar 1, 2015
    Yes, I would treat for stones now. Hunching in wethers can be UC.

3. CarolineZelda

Aug 15, 2016
    Maryland
    What exactly is the treatment for stones?

I read this on one website

"Typical dosages for TREATMENT of Urinary Calculi are as follows:

Add 1 (one) tablespoon of Ammonium Chloride to 1 (one) to 2 (two) cups of water and drench the goat with the entire contents, daily. Provide plenty of fresh water as well after treatment. The key to using Ammonium Chloride and ultimately curing Urinary Calculi, is to keep the goat urinating as frequently as possible."

Should I give half as much since he is only around 50 lbs?

4. ThreeHavens

ThreeHavens 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    Not sure on dosage, bumping for you, but I would also treat. I also would stop the grain for him - even with ammonium chloride it seems to cause stones. In NJ (where I live) the hay is low in calcium, so I give my wether alfalfa pellets instead of grain. :)

5. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

You really need to add alfalfa to his diet. His entire diet needs to be at least 2:1 calcium to phosphorus.

6. CarolineZelda

Aug 15, 2016
    Maryland
    The person I bought him from said to never ever give alfalfa, but after reading more I realized about the ratio... Can anyone help me with treatment for any little stones he might have now? I'm worried it could get worse...

7. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

You need to get ammonium chloride but I don't know dosage.

8. Buck Naked Boers

Buck Naked Boers Active Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Oregon
    I don't have time to respond right now in length. where do you live? AC doesn't dissolve all stone types. My goat has had calcium carbonate stones twice now. I have much to write about since our second episode just happened. Much we've learned through vets at university large animal hospital who see UC bucks and weathers on a weekly basis!

So will try to start a new thread within 24 hrs Caroline but if you want to call me to chat sooner instant message me and I will give you my number. I can share our experience.

Hang in there. UC isn't fun but IS possible to successfully get through it.

Tami

9. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Also pull the baking soda, wethers should not have it.

10. CarolineZelda

Aug 15, 2016
    Maryland
    We live in Annapolis md area... I do have some ammonium chloride already but don't want to overdose

11. Buck Naked Boers

Oct 14, 2012
    Oregon
    Ask yr vet for exact amount to give....

12. CarolineZelda

Aug 15, 2016
    Maryland
    Ok hopefully he'll know...

13. naomilove

naomilove New Member

Jan 10, 2017
    My boy gets dl methionine every day to desolve his stones, my vet prescribed it. Its also a good idea to get his urine tested so you know what kind of stones youre dealing with as each type needs different treatment. I would definitely pull the grain and the baking soda, make sure he is drinking plenty. My vet always recommeds putting putting fruit fresh in my guys water if i dont have medicine, it helps to acidify the urine. Or acid pack, but that is much harder to find in a pinch. Hope he feels better soon!

14. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    Baking soda neutralizes the acid in the body, so any AC you give him will not acidify the urine.

15. catharina

catharina Catharina

Mar 16, 2016
    Northern California
    They can die a horrible, painful death from UC, so if you can possibly take him to a vet, I really want to encourage you to do so.

Some things I've read on this forum & elsewhere about getting goats to drink more:

Have 2 pails of water-one plain & one with diluted gatorade, electrolytes, or apple cider vinegar.

Give fresh juicy fruits like watermelon.

Try warm water in winter.

Keep the water pails very clean.

Good luck & I sure do hope it's not UC,& that he feels better soon!

16. Buck Naked Boers

Oct 14, 2012
    Oregon
    Please those of you on this list who have endured UC in the past or have been dealing with it......please read my thread on BioChlor. I have been trialing this with my goat....and it is WORKING! Read more on the BioChlor thread. Not trying to change subject just sharing.....

tami

17. CarolineZelda

Aug 15, 2016
    Maryland
    Thanks everyone for their help! We did take him to the vet yesterday and they did a urinalysis and observed him. He had a lot of white blood cells in his urine, and no crystals to indicate stones so they are treating him with antibiotics for a possible UTI. We also going to start giving Ammonium chloride regularly for prevention and focusing more water.

Hopefully it was just an infection and no stones, but we will be keeping an eye out and doing extra hard work on prevention anyway.

If we remove baking soda, will he and his sister be safe we they want to treat themselves for possible bloating? They both rarely get grain but people have always said the baking soda is important for the bloat prevention if they eat too many leaves or have an upset stomach...

18. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

They will be fine. They make their own bicarbonate and giving them baking soda actually hinders them from making it themselves.

19. ThreeHavens

ThreeHavens 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    I used to leave out baking soda because I believed the same - that they needed it. Mine actually became dependent on it and had less issues when I removed it. Now I only give it to them if they overate something or are actually showing signs of an upset tummy. :)

20. Buck Naked Boers

Oct 14, 2012
    Oregon
    Yep we do that too.....only use it when we think they really need it. Otherwise it is never needed on our farm. We don't have milkers though, not sure if that makes a difference or not.