Using bands to remove horns

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Stacie1205, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Stacie1205

Stacie1205 New Member

Mar 25, 2011
    Has anybody tried using bands to get rid of horns on a mature goat. How did it turn out? Would like to see pics if anyone has any of before/after and whether you were happy with the outcome. I have a couple of does with very pointy horns that I would like to get rid of since they like to use them on each other.

Thanks

2. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

May 18, 2010
    Fairplay, MD
    When I first started out with goats I had unregistered goats with horns. When I started getting into registered goats, they were all disbudded and it was very hard to keep them together. I sold all the unregistered goats but my favorite doe. I decided to band her horns as well as some large scurs on one of my bucks. It did work but it was clear towards the end their horns were very sore and painful. They kept their distance from all the other goats for fear of having their horns touched and I had to feed them seperately. I wouldn't do it again....

3. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

I had a buck that had been disbudded 3 times and still grew a full fledged horn. We filed a groove at the horn base & put the band on & used electrical & duct tape to hold it in place. The band ended up sliding up the horn under the duct tape so I didn't notice it wasn't on the base. It did work though but I couldn't get it to stay at the base.

4. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    I have never tried it personally but the lady that I got my goats from has done it several times with much success. I saw pictures of a couple of goats with their horns that she did, and then I saw them in person and they looked as though they had been disbudded. Nice and clean. I think that some have had success and others not.

5. PznIvyFarm

PznIvyFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    I had the vet remove the horns on my 1 year old (she came with horns). It cost me $75 and it was worth every penny. She was a little touchy around her head for awhile, but has calmed down now. I think I could see banding scurs, but I don't know if I'd do actual horns.

6. liz

liz New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I banded the horns on a hermaphrodite "doe" nigi, hers were wide and thick at the base though, used electrical tape to hold the bands on and the 1st came off in 3 weeks .....she knocked it off. The secong dropped 2 weeks later. If I was to do it again, I think the smaller the diameter of the horn base the better. And yes it does hurt them, they learn pretty quick to avoid knocking heads as well as sticking their heads in places that may bump the horns.

It does work though, just have some Blood Stop powder handy or even a disbudder or soldering iron handy to stop any serious blood loss if one is unintentionally knocked off too soon.

7. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

Ive done it twice, had sucess both times, they still grow scurs, but if they get too big, you can just band again

8. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I've banded horns probably 10 times with success and without any health problems. I actually have four yearlings that I got not that long ago that never got disbudded, that have bands on their horns now and all of them have lost at least one horn. I actually just take my castrator with a green band, put it over the horn, but the band at the base and then pop it off the castrator tool and push the band at the very base. I put 2 or 3 bands on just to be sure they stay on.

I wouldn't use banding for goats older than 2 or 3 though.

9. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

I do EXACTLY what Kylee does :)

10. Coyote Night Acres

Coyote Night Acres New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Missouri
    How young could you do it? Say if a kid never got disbudded and you wanted to get them off while the diameter of the horn base was small. At what age would you band them?

11. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Could be anywhere from 6 months to a year and a half....just kinda depends on how fast the horns grow. A horn that is 2 to 3 inches long is usually ideal from my experience.

12. When you say put the band at the base. .. is that where the skin/hair starts or lower?

13. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Pretty much as low as you can get it to the skull. Here are some photos off of google...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Thanks for the good pics. I have 1 1yr old that has horns and I am trying to decide what to do.

15. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    You're welcome. :thumb:

16. Stacie1205

Stacie1205 New Member

Mar 25, 2011
    Thanks for all the info. I think I will give it a try.

17. creakingpinesfarm

creakingpinesfarm New Member

Jan 14, 2011
    Does it seem to bother the goats?

18. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    The goats usually don't notice the bands at all. You just want to watch and make sure the goat doesn't break the horn off prematurely. If that happens it usually bleeds a little bit and you'll want to keep an eye on the goat and make sure it recovers and heals ok. ;)