Very swollen leg!! How much aspirin?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Frosty1, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Frosty1

Frosty1 New Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Florida
    So my registered Nubian 3 month old buck injured his leg yesterday. :( He was on his rope, and got it tangled around his leg really tight and then somehow flipped himself onto his back. I heard him crying and ran to go get him. I put him in a pen with water, food, and grain; and his leg isn't broken, but I think he must have pulled/twisted it. He is all right except for his leg (Thank goodness!!) but this morning it is VERY swollen. What can I do for him? I heard Tylenol is bad for goats, so what can I do to reduce the swelling? Thanks!

2. Frosty1

Frosty1 New Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Florida
    Re: Tarzan injured his leg! What can I give him?

How much aspirin should I give him? He weighs about 50 pounds I think. Thanks!

3. liz

liz New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Frosty... I was giving my 75lb doe 8/325mg aspirins for her arthritis. A 20lb goat can have up to 1000mg of aspirin.

4. Frosty1

Frosty1 New Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Florida
    Thanks!

5. BlueMoonSpot

BlueMoonSpot goat nut

May 11, 2012
    out in the goat field
    One of the more experienced goat people on here, correct me if I'm wrong, but you could try putting a liniment on the hurt leg...it might help reduce the swelling. I use aloe vera gel with a few drops of peppermint essential oil, but you could probably find a more powerful one at a horse supply store. That's just my suggestion. =) I hope he gets better soon! How is he doing today?

6. Frosty1

Frosty1 New Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Florida
    He's doing better! Thanks! I have been giving him 4 aspirins, twice a day, and the swelling has gone down a lot! It's still a little swollen, but much better. He is putting weight on it, and is doing great mentally! So that's good! :)

7. BlueMoonSpot

BlueMoonSpot goat nut

May 11, 2012
    out in the goat field
    Great! I'm glad to hear that he's doing better. Sounds like he's on the mend. =D

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    That is great to hear..... :thumb: :greengrin:

9. liz

liz New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    :thumbup: :leap:

10. Frosty1

Frosty1 New Member