What are some natural ways to de-worm goats?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by sarahsboergoats, Jan 5, 2010.

1. sarahsboergoats

sarahsboergoats New Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Illinois
    Hi
    I was wondering if you could give me some natural ways to de-worm goats. Please include websites. :)
    Sarah

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois

3. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

Black Oil Sunflower Seeds and Pine tree branches work to keep the worm load down. But I wouldn't just feed them that, because its not enough. Thats about as Natural as it gets altho there are "natural wormers" in a liquid form. We don't use those because we don't really believe they would keep the worms down in our area. (Too wet) We did buy a natural wormer once called Ex-pel (or X-pel, not on hand) but we never tried it. Paid a lot of money for it too. :doh:

Sorry I don't have any websites. But if you go to Fiasco Farms, theres some natural wormers on there. It works for them but what may work for them, wont really work in other areas.

Orrr. A natural wormer would be kiko goats! :laugh: Just kidding, even though they are naturally resistant to worms, they still need to be wormed, but not as much as other breeds.

4. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
  5. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

I use Mollys herbal formulas which on the Fias Co Farm website that Tyler posted. It comes with 2 formulas that work in conjuction with eachother. They take a lot of dedication & have to be given weekly. I mix the correct amount of formula with just enough water to make it suck into a syringe (with no needle) & squirt it into the goats mouths. Some of my goats hate it, and some seem to think it's a bottle of warm milk waiting to be gobbled down lol! I have another friend who uses it with great success & she mixes something to make little balls as "treats".

6. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    What about diamateous earth???( I am sure I spelled that one wrong!!) :whatgoat:

7. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Diatomaceous earth has not been proven to be effective for worming goats, and I haven't had any luck with it.

8. DebMc

DebMc New Member

Dec 10, 2009
    I use pure, food grade DE as a parasite preventative for all my animals, goats included. There are studies showing its efficacy in pest management but what matters to me is how it works for me. And in the 20 some years I've been using it in/on dogs, poultry, waterfowl and sheep, we've never had a worm or external parasite infestation.

For external parasites, on goats I dust it into their fleece. As a worm preventative, I add a cup and a half into 50 lbs. of goat chow/pro manna senior horse pellets and mix it well.

Deb Mc

9. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

I am weary of having to provide any wormer on a regular basis because any worms in the goat's system WILL develop a tolerance for it. But, some natural ways to help keep the load down so you don't have to worm medicinally too often would be, as mentioned, pine trees, pumpkin seeds, black oil sunflower seeds, and copper, provided either at an ideal level daily or as a bolus on a schedule that suits your areas deficiencies. If you provide some or all of these things, maintain a clean pen (there is always going to be berries, just so the best you can to keep it dry and clean), and your goats are overall healthy - fed properly, exercised often, and provided with all necessary vitamins and minerals - you should not need to worm often. By doing fecal tests you can determine if worming is necessary and do only when needed effectively lowering the amount of medicinal wormer you have to use.

Tea Tree Oil is very effective as a topical treatment for lice, mange, and bacterial infections on the skin and feet. At least, that has been my experience. I do not know if it is/isn't safe or effective when taken orally.

I won't launch a full on western medicine versus natural care argument. But I will say this - 200 years ago, well even today in areas of the world who have no access to what we consider western medicine - animals die at astonishing rates. Farmers are lucky to see what we would consider a 50/50 survival rate in kids. The milk is often tainted and makes it's users and drinkers sick. The animals themselves are overrun with parasites and are anemic which of course shortens their life expectancy. It was not a pleasant world for animals being kept in captivity before we began finding ways to treat their problems...

That being said. I firmly believe you should do no harm when caring for your animals. If they don't need it, don't do it. Why overload their bodies with it? And if you can find natural ways to provide your animals with the nutrients they need as well as natural ways to keep them healthy then do so - as long as you don't do it with veld eyes assuming it's the fix all. Sometimes medical wormers are necessary for the well-being of your pets :)

10. anoelchick

anoelchick New Member

Oct 17, 2012
    I use foodgrade DE on all of my animals. Recently we put 40 roosters in the freezer and I was amazed at how clean both inside and out they were. DE does the trick for us. I even put it around the house for ticks and fleas and didn't have any trouble with such this year.

11. KarmakeeFarm

KarmakeeFarm New Member

Jun 2, 2012
    I have heard pumpkin is good too-my gals love it

12. ThreeHavens

ThreeHavens 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
  13. rosti

rosti New Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Centerville,WA
  14. xymenah

xymenah Member with a bahhh

Jul 1, 2011
    Mount Olive, NC
    I have used Molly's for years but I'm going to be trying DE soon for both my animals and myself. Just got ten pounds and took my first dose. If you decide to use it get food grade. The pool or garden grade can kill.

15. olbossy

olbossy New Member

May 20, 2012
    How do you go about using DE? Do you just mix it with their good, and if so how much per goat?

Thanks!

Terri

16. anoelchick

anoelchick New Member

Oct 17, 2012
    Terri, the dosage sizes are on the DE foodgrade bag--the instruction sheet is now on my frig. I add one teaspoon to two cups of dry oats which I give to two 6 month old Lamanchas for breakfast. I also add two ground daily vitamins and about a tablespoon of Brewer's yeast. Eventhough I use DE, I recently bought herbal wormer from FiasGoats because one of the little goat girls was lacking energy and her belly was a bit bloated.

They gobbled up the herbal wormer, and in only two days, I did see a marked increase of energy in the smaller girl that I was worried about. I am new to raising goats. I want my girls to be healthy so that a strong future is possible.

Leona

P.S.
    Coffee grinders are perfect for powdering hard vitamins. I grind people vitamins I buy for myself.

17. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

Sep 15, 2010
    North Alabama
    Rotating pastures helps with parasite control, though I'm not sure how much as I've never done it.
    If you keep your goats' copper levels right, and they are reasonably healthy in other ways, you will never have to worm them. That is what I do. The problem is, too much copper is poisonous, and the amount they are getting varies with soil and their mineral supplements.
    Copper bolusing will control barberpole worms at least.
    If you're interested, I recommend buying Pat Coleby's "Natural Goat Care." In it, she explains a lot about copper and the many diseases it prevents. Her basic mineral mix is a good place to start - the amount of copper in it is supposed to be enough to fully control worms in non-dairy goats. (Dairy goats have higher mineral demands.) But since she lives in Australia where the soils are different, you should still have fecals done regularly to make sure it is working.
    Gotta go - if you're interested, I can give you her mineral mix recipe later. It's very simple.

18. ThreeHavens

ThreeHavens 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    I'm interested ;)

19. olbossy

olbossy New Member

May 20, 2012
    Thanks for the info everyone!!! I would love the recipe for the mineral mix.

Terri