What kind of hay to feed foundered ponies

Discussion in 'Horses' started by GoatCrazy01, Jun 16, 2017.

1. GoatCrazy01

GoatCrazy01 Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Michigan
    I have had a Shetland cross mare for a while. She was a rescue and suffers from heaves, has foundered before, and has cellulite on her neck. I've recently learned that my other Quarter Pony cross has foundered before and has a tiny bit of cellulite on her neck. They are currently on no grain, and not much grass at all. They are eating orchard grass mix hay. We are getting ready to buy our hay for next year, and my question is.. what kind of hay should they be eating? No alfalfa, correct? Is timothy okay? There is some affordable 1st cutting treefoil and clover mix square bales that are close to us. I'm a horse newbie here lol, and all I know is that with their conditions they can't have sugar and not super rich hay. Just not sure what kind of hay to give them.. thank you so much for any help!

2. BrokenArrowRanch

BrokenArrowRanch New Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Any kind of grass hay is fine. Just not super rich. If you can find some that's tested that would be great. If your worried you can soak the hay in water and feed it wet. This pulls all the sugar out of it

3. GoatCrazy01

GoatCrazy01 Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Michigan
    Thank you!

4. Madgoat

Madgoat Active Member

Timothy and Orchard Grass or good Coastal. No Alfalfa. You might check out Peanut hay. Good Luck. Founder is not good, hope you caught it in time