what kinda of plants , fruits, and vegetables can goats eat?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by bree00, Jun 9, 2009.

1. bree00

bree00 New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    South Carolina
    can anyone give me a list of plants, fruits, and vegetables they can eat? :)

2. liz

liz New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Depending on what area you live in is a precursor to what plants they should not have. Rhodedendron and Azeala are the biggest no-no's Laurel is among them as well.

http://kinne.net/poi-list.htm

This link has a great poisonous plant list.

As far as fruits and veggies, try giving them just abouit anything you would eat...be mindful though that if you give them ANY pitted fruits..cherry, plums, peaches etc there MUST NOT be any leaves on them and to be even more cautious remove the pits. Some goats will only eat certain things ...mine love bannana peels more than the banana...when giving any fruit with a peel, be sure to wash them first, no need to have them eat any pesticide residue.

3. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
  4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yup checking poisonous plant lists is important.

The love all sorts of veggies and fruits.

I give mine all sorts of peels from cucumber to oranges the only thing thye dont seem to like is Potatoe skins

5. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Luna eats lemons and grapefruit whole. She looks like a kid with the juice runin down her chin :ROFL:

6. liz

liz New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Stacey next time you boil potatoes with the skins on, try giving them the cooked tater skins...mine inhale them cooked, but won't touch them raw.

7. BeeLady

BeeLady New Member

Will they eat zucchini????? How much would be too much????? I have pounds and pounds of it!

8. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    Yep, mine love squash. Just remember that the key is in moderation, so don't give the a whole lot at a time.

I don't feed mine tomato or potato plants, as they are from the nightshade family, but they love to eat the actual tomatoes and potatoes. Other than that mine eat pretty much anything else out of the garden.

9. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Mine LOVE strawberry tops. I give them everything - watermellon rinds, cantalope rinds, strawberry tops, carrot peels, zuchini and squash.

The only thing I didn't give them because I wasn't sure was pineapple and kiwi peels.

10. liz

liz New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Mine LOVE pineapple but not one will touch a carrot! And K-Ro has a great point..in moderation as treats, too much will give them runny poop :greengrin:

11. rbhardy

rbhardy New Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Can you feed white oak acorns to goats

12. ten-acre-farms

ten-acre-farms New Member

Sep 28, 2013
    My girls go nuts for acorns!

13. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you

Apr 13, 2011
    Oregon Coast Range
    Yep, mine are eating all the acorns they can get their mouths on right now.

14. pubgal83

pubgal83 New Member

Oct 31, 2012
    Middle Tennessee
    I have just now started giving my goats treats. Bad goat mommy I guess. I do give lots of love though :) I tried apples today. Peeled them, cut them up and they loved them. They like graham crackers and crasins/raisins.

15. scubacoz22

scubacoz22 New Member

Nov 26, 2013
    I just got a bunch of tomatoes from a friend and some had rotten spots on them so I cut that part off and gave them some tomatoes. Most of them loved them but some of them wouldn't touch the tomatoes. The rest I gave to the chickens. They love e the jake tree leaves and the acorns. Whenever I am cutting up veggies I always give them pieces of the veggies. I cut up apples for them and they go crazy over that.