What went wrong??

Discussion in 'Parasites' started by Suzanne_Tyler, Feb 16, 2017.

  1. Suzanne_Tyler

    Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

    Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
    Just ran my first fecal test. Everything went fine, for about the first five seconds :p

    I used the instructions on fiasco farm.

    I weighed out 3 grams of poop. It was supposed to be about 1/2-3/4 teaspoon. I got maybe 2 teaspoons.

    Well, whatever.

    Mashed it up, added 25ml flotation solution.

    Then strained it and poured it into the test tube. And ran into another problem. It didn't fill the test tube all the way.

    So I made some more and strained it and all, and added it to the test tube. It filled to the top.

    Then I set the coverslip on and after the 20 minute wait, it was super thick at the top. This was after I strained the liquid. When I lifted the coverslip, it came with the coverslip in globs. I scraped a little off.

    After a ton of trouble from the microscope (I won't go into details - I figured it out for the most part ;)) I finally have a slide to look at.

    But then I couldn't find a single egg. I looked all over the slide, for maybe 15-20 mins, and nothing. Tons of bubbles, tons of hay particles, but nothing that looked like any of the parasite egg photos I have seen. I did find one thing that looked like a pill shape, but it didn't have anything in it. Is there a parasites egg type that looks like that?

    So, what do you think?
     
  2. jschies

    jschies Member

    546
    Aug 14, 2014
    You might just not have any worms. But, just in case, here is how I do fecals.

    I take about 3 goat pellets in a cup and pour some flotation solution in (half and inch to an inch). I use epsom salt mixed with water. I take a popsicle stick of the end of a plastic fork and break up the goat pellets.

    Then when they are broken up, I pour it through a tea strainer into another cup. I don't have much plant material after the strainer.

    Then I pour it into a prescription bottle, just a little wider than the slide, adding enough solution to make the liquid form a dome at the top. I set the SLIDE on top of the bottle and let it sit for 15 to 20 minutes.

    After the timer goes off, I pick the slide straight up, flip it over, and set the cover slip on top. I hope that this is clear and helps you. I taught my method to the ladies at a hippotherapy barn and it works great for them.

    The key is that the eggs have to be able to float up to the top of the flotation solution.
     
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017

  3. Suzanne_Tyler

    Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

    Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
    That would be awesome if they were that healthy :D

    I'll definitely be running another test on a different goat using your method tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes!
     
  4. jschies

    jschies Member

    546
    Aug 14, 2014
    Just make sure that you really break up the "goat pellets"!! That is the part that the hippotherapy ladies were doing wrong.
     
  5. Suzanne_Tyler

    Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

    Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
    Ok, running another fecal took a while lol. Kidding season got ahead of me I guess.

    Anyways, I ran a fecal on Honey today and saw one strongyle egg. So, progress :)