What's the best Wormer?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Abra, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Abra

Abra Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Wasilla, Alaska
    I am searching for the best wormer for goats.
    Any ideas?
    I have a girl who is getting 2x as much grain/feed as the other 3 does (all 4 are adults), and she is just not gaining weight for some reason.
    I bought a goat wormer in the pellet form at the store, but she won't touch it....
    I was going to use a horse wormer (paste) but I don't want to use it unless I know it's going to be safe....

Any ideas or advice would be wonderful! :)
    Thanks guys!

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

The best wormer is the one that will kill the worms that your goat has. What I mean is that you need to have a fecal done at the vet and find out what worms she has. Then treat appropriately. There is no wormer out there that will take care of all worms. Also make sure the vet checks for coccidia too.

3. 20kidsonhill

20kidsonhill Senior Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Virginia
    Synanthic and Prohibit are considered two of the stronger wormers, but don't over look Coccidiosis, which is not reated with regular wormers. Liver flukes are only treated with ivermectin Plus.

I also really like equimax horse wormer or quest Plus horse wormer. Dose at 2 x the recommended dosage for a horse. So a 100lb goat would get a dosage for 200lbs of horse. Can go up to 3x the dosage.

but like Ksalvagno said, it does matter what parastie you are dealing with.