Where to buy sea kelp?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by JessaLynn, Nov 28, 2011.

1. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I want to try out sea kelp for our goats and wondered where can I buy it in bulk.It's expensive at Jeffers and Hoeggers so hoping to find a large amount at a cheaper price. Local would be great but ordering online is fine to. I have heard alot of good things adding it to their diet so I really want to try it out on them.Thanks for any help!

2. 4theluvofgoats

4theluvofgoats New Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Bradford, VT

3. PznIvyFarm

PznIvyFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    That's where i just got mine too.

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I got a couple boxes of it off of Amazon. It's organic powdered kelp...works great for mixing with my minerals.

5. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

Sep 15, 2010
    North Alabama
    A local feed store orders it for me from Acadian Seaplants Limited.

6. Burns Branch Boers

Burns Branch Boers New Member

Apr 10, 2011
    North Texas
    Wow I did not realize that kelp was such a serious supplement! Lots of vitamins and stuff--so if one feeds Onyx right now--would there be a need to add kelp?

Can dogs eat the kelp?

7. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    I get my in 50 lb. bags from the feed store. At first the goats didn't seem to care for it but now they love it. I have it out free choice and they eat more of it than the minerals or baking soda. I have just started using it so it is hard to see any benefits yet.

Yes dogs can have kelp too. It is good for them.

8. That is also where I get mine. Looked around a lot and that was by far the best price delivered to my door.

9. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Awesome! Thanks for the help!

10. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

Do you feed the kelp in place of the mineral or with the mineral?

11. In addition to loose minerals. The kelp is great IMO but not a replacement for the minerals. I actually started mixing some kelp in with the minerals.

12. jona

jona New Member

Jan 15, 2011
  13. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Checked it out and it would cost me $19 to ship here so it would be more for me.I like that they carry organic sea kelp but I'm confused...isn't kelp organic anyhow?

14. Kelp is organic if in the process they add anything that is not then it could null its organincness. The stuff I get from NoAmKelp is all organic.

15. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I'm hoping to improve our goats overall health in general.They have been doing fine but I think every little bit helps keep them in good health :)

16. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

For anyone in Ohio, there is Ohio Earth Food in Hartville that sells sea kelp for animals. http://www.ohioearthfood.com/

You can drive there and pick it up. Pricing is $52.60 per 50 lb bag for 1-9 and then 5% discount for 10 or more bags.

I think I'm going to try them since they are only 1 hour away.

17. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Thank you so much for the link! They are 2hrs away but hoping shipping doesn't break the bank ;) I need more DE to so excited they carry some!!