Why is my boer doe so small?

Discussion in 'Meat Market' started by m57gonefishing, Feb 1, 2013.

1. So since it was cocci and who knows how long, do you think she'll catch up or be stunted?

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

Only time will tell with catching up. Every goat is different. You know how goats are, you can't make blanket statements because they will make you look like a fool every time. :)

3. happybleats

happybleats Active Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    just a quick note on Cocci ....last season we had a huge cocci out break..first time ever...we always used Sulmet to prevent and or treat and everyone did well..last season it didnt even slow them down...we turned to out of country to get Baycox...worked like a charm...one treatment for most a few needed a second at ten days..

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    corning california
    Some will grow more after treatment and a good feeding program, but others will not grow much at all. So as mentioned ,only time will tell.

5. 20kidsonhill

20kidsonhill Senior Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Virginia
    I took a chance on one and brought her home and she has not grown well dispite a heck of a lot of feed. She will be 2 years old and is no bigger than a 7 or 8 month old doe. She just kidded a single buck, needed to be assisted and then needed to be fed separate, because she can't compete in the herd being so small. I don't see her growing a whole lot more. Looking to be a possible waste of my time, but the bucklign she is feeding looks nice.

6. 20kids- not sure how old the single buck is, but does he seem to be on track for growing as a normal kid would?

7. 20kidsonhill

20kidsonhill Senior Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Virginia
    he is 4 weeks, he seems to be doing well. Maybe a little smaller than he should be for 4 weeks, but nice and thick looking. I should weigh him and see where we are at on daily gain. If I get close to a .4 out of him I will be happy. I figure once he is on creepfeed he will pick up in weight. I don't think she could have nursed twins, we would have had to pull one and bottle feed it.

the doe was around 7 months when we got her and we fed her lots of grain every day. We skipped a year of breeding and waited until she was 2 before she would kid. My other goats would have kidded twice by now.

8. Wingdo

Wingdo New Member

Feb 10, 2013
    We have had couple of does in the past that for some never explained reason threw a small kid that failed to flourish... and every one of them came from first time does. Using the same buck on subsequent breeding/s they would do more to our liking. Since we mainly use a weight scale to determine our best that first sub-par record on the doe wouldn't always be held against her. IMO sometimes things just work out that way and all you can do is keep it in mind when the market is up and/or culling time comes around. This is just my opinion, which if you add $10 to you might be able to buy a cup of coffee.