Wonder if anyone can help :)

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Mama_maybell, May 14, 2017.

1. Mama_maybell

Mama_maybell New Member

May 14, 2017
    We have just got a new all stock for our animals on the farm sheep/goats. I know for sure goats have different diet requirements and I've noticed they are getting dandruff ? What can I put in there feed to help. Also I've noticed our new goats are quite bloated what can I give them to help reduce and prevent this ? Thanks :) :ram:

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

Is this a grain type feed? Did you slowly introduce it? Do you offer loose minerals? When was the last time you copper bolused?

3. Mama_maybell

Mama_maybell New Member

May 14, 2017
    Yes introduced it over a few weeks but it's a pellet feed I wasn't to keen on it but fellow worker requested we used it. We supply a mineral salt lick ... but never done a copper supplement. I've read that bi carb can help aid bloating supplied as a loose supplement ?

4. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
    All goats need a good free choice loose mineral. I use Manna Pro from Tractor Supply. Most goats also need additional copper or selenium supplementation. Copper bolus is for copper supplementation.

Don't give baking soda free choice. It lowers the ph of the rumen which is only good in times of stomach issues and stress. It also lowers the ph in the urine making bucks and wethers more susceptible to UC.

Can you post photos of the ones that are bloated? Are their rumens making sounds? Are they acting in pain or uncomfortable? Are they eating?

Dandruff can be a sign of mites or zinc deficiency. Copper deficiency can also contribute. I would start them on copper bolus and ZinPro.

5. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    If the feed is made to be used for sheep, it does not contain enough copper and you will need to supplement copper. Also, blocks will not give enough nutrients for a goat. Goats tongues are too soft to handle a block.

6. Mama_maybell

Mama_maybell New Member

May 14, 2017
    Our newer goats are toggenburgs around a year and a half old. They are acting fine and happy not in pain at all they do seem to be eating most of their straw bedding instead of their hay could this contribute ? We have already checked all our goats over and no mites or lice found. So I was guessing it is a vitamin and mineral kind of thing. Going to suggest to the owner about the different supplements we should supply should we mix these copper /zinc supplements in there feed or supply for a loose mineral ? Get rid of the salt lick ??Thanks for your time :)

7. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you

Apr 13, 2011
    Oregon Coast Range
    For Toggenburg goats you need to change the mineral licks to cobalt blocks, offer good free choice minerals, and copper bolus. Toggs are deficient in cobalt as a breed wide problem.
    If you ever add zinc it must never be more than three times the amount of copper in the total ration including hay and browse.

8. Mama_maybell

Mama_maybell New Member

May 14, 2017
    ImageUploadedByGoat Forum1494841770.938399.jpg

Would this be a good mineral block to supply ? I don't have many farm shops around me with this kind of stuff... it is recommended for cattle and goats !?

9. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

No. You need a good loose mineral but you also need a blue cobalt salt block. The only color a block should be is blue.

10. Mama_maybell

Mama_maybell New Member

May 14, 2017
    Could I not grind this block to get a loose mineral ? I'm from the uk and there isn't many farm shops where I come from ... ?

11. KansasRev

KansasRev New Member

Apr 28, 2017
    Salina, Kansas
    Wash them with Pert! Lol