working with a wooden floor

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by traceykindall, Mar 20, 2017.

1. traceykindall

traceykindall New Member

Oct 16, 2016
    McCall, Idaho
    I am preparing to get goats this spring, and here is my question: I have a really nice shed my son built for the goats, but it has a wooden floor - thick plywood that sits about 8" or so above the ground surface. How can I ensure the wood lasts as long as possible? Should I seal it, and if so, with what? Should we drill some holes in it to ensure drainage? If I had it to do over again, I would have an earth floor, but for now I need to work with the wood. Also, I am thinking of using a mix of straw and pine shavings as bedding - any thoughts? Thanks for feedback!

-- Tracey in Idaho

2. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    Pinnacle, NC
    Bed it deeply and change the bedding often. Depending on how you manage your goats, they might not use the shelter that much anyways, especially if you have some other sort of covering like an overhang.

3. Chopsgoats

Chopsgoats New Member

Our barn has a wood floor and I used commercial rubber roofing on the floor. We put shavings down to soak up any urine and it has worked out quite well. We have had 5 Nigerians in there. It cleans really easy and the wood underneath never gets wet. Have had this set up for about 16 years now