You asked to see my homemade milker....Pics

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by milk and honey, May 9, 2011.

1. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    Hi all...
    Here are the pics of my milker that I made based on pictures of the Henry and Madigan milkers.... It cost around 40.00 to make. I used a 20cc syringe, medical tubing, a mason jar and a vacuum pump from Harbor freight tools ( for brake fluid??) and a couple of small gaskets from Ace hardware... Hope you can see it all clear enough
    Oh, I also used a tube connector, so I could remove the tubing from the pump for cleaning. I may trade the mason jar lid for a plastic one.. which will probably be easier to drill than the thin metal. There is no pulsating with this milker that I can tell, but my doe doesn't mind it at all and empties pretty completely.. one maybe two squirts left. It's great for FF tiny teats.

Attached Files:

2. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

That is really great! Thank you for sharing!
    Do you have to keep pumping the handle at all? Or does it create a vacuum also and just does it itself?

3. That is so cool. :thumb: I am gonna try and put one together.

4. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Thanks for sharing. I too will have to give it a go, not so much for me, because I love hand milking but for my dear hubby, when he has to goat sit. I think he wouldn't mind goat sitting near as much if he had one of these to make his job easier.

5. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    I pump the handle to about 10 psi and then it holds a vacuum pretty well. I give it an additional pump or 2 about every 20 seconds or so... it's kinda nice having hands free to pet and brush my goat. I also had in mind ... my husband and daughter .. they are much more likely to milk for me this way! (although it hasn't happened yet.. ha ha )