The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my pregnant 2yo does started acting “off” this morning - standing by herself, not as interested in food. Around 6 hours ago I saw that she was passing her “amber mucus tube”. I’ve been checking her regularly but nothing has happened. She still seems uncomfortable (shifting position frequently). Small amount of mucus on her vulva This is her second pregnancy (first was a year ago - big healthy doeling; no issues). I gently checked her with gloved fingers just now - nothing finger-deep in canal. No pushing. I can’t honestly tell you if I felt a cervix or not, but no baby parts (last year I successfully assisted 2 other doelings, pulling out baby’s legs when face first, but never did an internal exam without a baby right there…).

Of course, we just got hit with an unexpected thunderstorm so she’s probably going to deliver as I type this…. but at what point do I get more concerned/more aggressive with “going in”. Is the “amber tube” the start of labor and that starts the clock (and how long is said-clock)? Or is it just a sign that she’s pre-labor and she’ll deliver “soon” (accounting for doe code, of course).

I read EVERY ARTICLE I could find last year with my first kiddings. I guess I got cocky thinking they’d do fine again this year. Should have brushed up on the timing info again. Thank you for your help.

·
Super Moderator
59,968 Posts
I have no idea what you mean by an amber mucous tube. Can you post a picture? If she really passed amber mucous then you need to go in with more than just a finger. The kid is probably malpositioned so labor is stalled.

·
Super Moderator
32,307 Posts
May have been her pre amber goo . It's more whitish opaque than amber color. The discharge that comes before she gets serious. You should start to see her more serious by now however. I have goats go 5 hours of light labor before they get serious. When you see the true amber goo then we want babies or solid progress within 30 minutes

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checked her again last night after your responses - all I could feel was what felt like ribs (cervix definitely dilated). I called the vet who came out fast, despite the storm. Baby was sideways; vet got it turned and got legs, but then head was stuck backward. She kept trying but mama started hemorrhaging. I lost mom and baby.

Thank you for the guidance. Terrible feeling. Trying to learn all that I can from this. I clearly was very lucky last year to have no losses.

·
Super Moderator
32,307 Posts
Oh goodness....im so sorry. ((Hugs))

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thankfully, life goes on and sometimes gets better: One of my first fresheners delivered last night - QUADS! Wow! Last year I had a couple sets of twins, but no more. Mom is doing great - very patient and attentive. The runt required some suctioning and extra rubbing/drying to get going. Weak at first, but i held him up to eat a few times and he’s now quite feisty. All four get in there and feed actively now. Mom has lots of water and free-choice “sheep & goat” pellets (from local coop; usual feed), alfalfa pellets, fresh alfalfa hay, and Purina wind n rain minerals. I’m going to TSC today - is Dumor goat sweet feed a good addition to have available for her, to up her calories? Any better or other suggestions? I’m going to buy some milk replacer in case I need to supplement the babies.

·
Registered
6,435 Posts
WOW QUADS, exciting! Congratulations 🐐🐐🐐🐐😃
I just use whole cows milk instead of replacer but start right away with all four so they’re used to the fake teat (bottle nipple) as well as the real one so you don’t have to struggle later To get them to take it. Also so momma gets used to the new smell of her kids and doesn’t reject them because they smell “ off” .
new moms can be fickle about things.

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
Thankfully, life goes on and sometimes gets better: One of my first fresheners delivered last night - QUADS! Wow! Last year I had a couple sets of twins, but no more. Mom is doing great - very patient and attentive. The runt required some suctioning and extra rubbing/drying to get going. Weak at first, but i held him up to eat a few times and he’s now quite feisty. All four get in there and feed actively now. Mom has lots of water and free-choice “sheep & goat” pellets (from local coop; usual feed), alfalfa pellets, fresh alfalfa hay, and Purina wind n rain minerals. I’m going to TSC today - is Dumor goat sweet feed a good addition to have available for her, to up her calories? Any better or other suggestions? I’m going to buy some milk replacer in case I need to supplement the babies.

The feed you are giving is fine. No need for sweet feed to be added. Here we also give them free choice grass hay too. Like GG said.... red topped cow milk from the grocery is better than replacer if you need to use it. I would seriously think about supplementing bottles or just going on and bottling two of them. That is gonna be a lot of fighting for teat time and her teats might get beat up. Plus will she make enough milk. If you start supplementing them now it will not be such a fight to get them to take it if the dam need help feeding them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts