The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I have a doe with sudden polio like symptoms. I was locking up the does and I noticed she wasn’t in the shed and I found her outside covered in snow (this was one of the coldest days we’ve had in a while). She was out of sorts & confused. I got her up and she was super unsteady and almost seemed paralyzed in the hind end and had a hard time keeping her legs under her. I put her in the barn with a heater and 1 other calm doe and she was acting blind and bumping against the wall a little bit but then she found the food and started eating. She would also circle too. I’m currently researching but thought I would post on here to see if you guys have any ideas. I brought in a doe a few months back from another herd and I didn’t realize but my mom had just started throwing some grain out for the does these past few weeks so i’m wondering if the imported doe is a carrier and the affected one ate her feces while going for grain?
•They’re fed high quality hay from a round with no mold, dust, etc
•She doesn’t have any facial drooping or drool yet
•She’s a 4yr old

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Give high levels of vitamin b complex sub Q under the skin). They pee out any excess. Penicillin is 1 cc per 10# body weight.
Tennessee meat goats site has excellent suggestions for polio and listeria.

Good luck.
thank you, what would high levels be considered? Like 5mls?

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
@8-Nigerian-8 oh man. I just got through 2 polio goats. Its not pretty. I got my vet involved. Do you have access to a vet?
I gave my two 5ml injections 3x daily for 3 days of both. But I did it according to my vet. Good luck. Keep in it for the long haul.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@8-Nigerian-8 oh man. I just got through 2 polio goats. Its not pretty. I got my vet involved. Do you have access to a vet?
I gave my two 5ml injections 3x daily for 3 days of both. But I did it according to my vet. Good luck. Keep in it for the long haul.
We don't have many goat vets but we're gonna bring her into one tomorrow. Thank you

·
Super Moderator
31,607 Posts
She needs 500mg thiamine every 4 to 6 hours
Penicillin 1 cc per 10 pounds every 4 to 6 hours
Banamine or dex once a day for brain swelling

This is around the clock dosing. Also making sure she eats and stays hydrated.

·
Super Moderator
31,607 Posts
Banamine is 1 cc per 100 pounds once a day for 3 day. After day 3 evaluate daily if its still needed based on neurological issues.

Best wishes

·
Super Moderator
31,607 Posts
Wonderful news. Banamine can be given SubQ

1 - 20 of 23 Posts