The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi y鈥檃ll!
For the first time we are having a rat problem. These darn things are smart! The tall bucket traps aren鈥檛 working, SO, I need suggestions .....
They鈥榬e field rats and have been hanging around the goat pen. We rake almost daily so nothings on the ground (hay/feed) but they go near the water a lot. my chickens and ducks free range So I need a way to poison them that goats, and fowl can鈥檛 get into.
Thanks in advance!
GoofyGoat

Registered
Never tried it but heard old timers would put out potato flakes (instant taters) and water next to it. Supposedly they are supposed to eat it and expand to death. No idea. Also heard peppermint smell they don't like. If I hear of more I will share.

Super Moderator
Oh boy...not fun. We keep several barn cats which helps but still find a mouse now and again. Poison is not not option here either. Hopefully someone has a good idea for you!!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks y鈥檃ll!
We had a couple of feral cats around but they鈥檝e disappeared for some reason. I guess I鈥檒l look for more cats I just am worried about the birds with new cats. The ferals always left the chickens and ducks alone so they never bothered me.

I鈥檓 a bit worried that putting potato flakes out might draw more mice and rats in ....but I will try making a spray with peppermint oil and douse the areas I鈥檝e seen them. I know altiod mints work in my garage so it鈥檚 possible 馃槂

Registered
I had a big problem a few years ago and had to use poison. I locked up the chickens, and poured it directly into the holes I found. I was worried about our beagle getting into it so I picked the poison that had a low risk of secondary poisoning and the antidote is vitamin k which every vet has on hand. Within a couple days I had dead or dying rats everywhere. I had no idea the problem was a sbig as it was. Trust me if you are seeing a couple, there are MANY more. 馃槼

Since then I've rehomed several rat snakes, black snakes, and milk snakes to the barnyard and I haven't noticed a rat issue since. The snakes seem to do a much better job than cats which just seemed to always migrate to the house and not stay in the barn.

Registered
We really did just have a few. Luckily they made themselves known early by killing most of our day old chicks on the first night. My son found a/the nest in the lawn with babies and called the barn cats over, then we got a trap that electrocutes them. (Wifi enabled- texts you when it kills one!) We killed 3 bigger ones that way. I haven't seen a rat since and that was almost 2 years ago.

Cats vary so much, in my experience. One killed birds but the rest we've been able to keep focused on easier pray of ground squirrels as long as we feed them a few times a week. They bring parts of their kills to our door, and I see a lot more rodent organs than wings or feathers. :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a big problem a few years ago and had to use poison. I locked up the chickens, and poured it directly into the holes I found. I was worried about our beagle getting into it so I picked the poison that had a low risk of secondary poisoning and the antidote is vitamin k which every vet has on hand. Within a couple days I had dead or dying rats everywhere. I had no idea the problem was a sbig as it was. Trust me if you are seeing a couple, there are MANY more. 馃槼

Since then I've rehomed several rat snakes, black snakes, and milk snakes to the barnyard and I haven't noticed a rat issue since. The snakes seem to do a much better job than cats which just seemed to always migrate to the house and not stay in the barn.
Great thanks
Do you remember which poison you used? I actually like snakes so having them around would be fine except our goat pen is close to the house so I can鈥檛 see that working out well.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We really did just have a few. Luckily they made themselves known early by killing most of our day old chicks on the first night. My son found a/the nest in the lawn with babies and called the barn cats over, then we got a trap that electrocutes them. (Wifi enabled- texts you when it kills one!) We killed 3 bigger ones that way. I haven't seen a rat since and that was almost 2 years ago.

Cats vary so much, in my experience. One killed birds but the rest we've been able to keep focused on easier pray of ground squirrels as long as we feed them a few times a week. They bring parts of their kills to our door, and I see a lot more rodent organs than wings or feathers. :)
Thanks for the idea but they鈥檙e out of my budget right now.

Premium Member
There is a rat poison (Rat X maybe?) that is only deadly to rodents. I used that and it worked pretty well. It's a tad expensive.

Peppermint didn't work for me, I think they enjoyed the smell.

I am overrun right now with rats. My son gets out with his pellet gun and will kill several every day, but they can reproduce faster than he can shoot them.

The bucket trap worked sort of ok, however my dog LGD would go over and lick the peanut butter off the roller.

My next dog is going to be a Terrier- Rat or Jack Russell. They are major killers of rats.

Registered
My next dog is going to be a Terrier- Rat or Jack Russell. They are major killers of rats.
I am legit trying to buy a terrier because of all the mice, rats, ground squirrels, and gophers we have here! The rats are the smallest issue of the four species, and so far we just use those giant mouse traps for them, but we need backup! We have a dozen cats but only one or two will bother to hunt, and their kills are infrequent.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I鈥檓 sorry y鈥檃ll are going through it too, it stinks! We just lost our dog Eowyn and I鈥檓 not ready for another yet though it鈥檚 a great idea. I鈥檒l try finding the rat x.

Registered
Sorry you're having problems with the rats. I get a lot of my pest control products form domyown.com. They have folks there that can tell you exactly what you need if you tell them what problem you have and what concerns you have about using the different poisons. They also have a number of non chemical control measures for rodents you might check out. I like to use tamper proof bait stations with bait bars inside. The rats go in and eat the poison, then go die somewhere else. They can be baited with a variety of different poisons depending on the situation. I've had good luck with these bait stations in barns. However, I might caution some of the poison that can kill a rat can also kill a cat that eats the rat. That's why this year I haven't used them because I've switched to my favorite overall "eco-friendly" rodent control device better known as "Kitty Momma"....a stray cat that showed up at our barn earlier this year and has decimated the rodent population. She's the best mouser I've ever seen! Glad she showed up. Also I have not seen the first snake in my barn this year either....guess since there's no rodents, the snakes stay away too!

Kitty Momma tonight on patrol for rodents.

Registered
I had to use "Just One Bite" poison last year. We were over run by Norway Rats. They can chew through anything they can get leverage against. I had to buy new barrels for feed.
I used that poison inside rat bait boxes I got at the hardware store. The rats go to water after they eat it so I stationed 2 buckets of water near by and picked up the corpses. I did this in an area my dogs could not get to. I had tried every other method over the course of a month and nothing else worked. I looked at the electronic traps but they were so expensive and I needed to get rid of the rats quickly. I was losing a barrel each day. Not a whole lot of feed but the rats were actually eating through my barrels. Norway rats are almost as big as my barn cat -- I was scared for her safety against the rats.
Ever since then, when the next property over is bush hogged, I have to kill a few rats. I even shot out the back window of my truck. I am a really bad shot but I had run out of ideas.

Registered
My barn rats like goat food, cheese, peanut butter, bread and many other things. They like all this stuff as long as it is not in a trap. I set up one snap trap with several bits of cheese around the trap, literally touching it, and some cheese in the trap. Next day all the cheese is gone except for the cheese in the trap. Same with peanut butter and my bucket trap. They ate the peanut butter off the ramp and off the edge of the bucket, but the would not venture onto the flip lid.

Stupid rats are too smart for me.

Had a feral cat in the barn for a few months. No sign of dead rats but I did find the remnants of 3 flickers when I cleaned the loft.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts