1/24/08 Question About Lice...

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by HollowbeadRanch, Jan 24, 2008.

1. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    I was just reading Kelebek's post but I didn't want to jump in there and "steal" her post, so I figured I would start a new post. I have never noticed any lice on my goats... are they hard to see? Would it be really noticeable if they had them? And even though I have never seen them on them do I still need to treat them ever so often? I had heard about goats getting lice but had never been told about any kind of preventative to use. Does everyone on here treat their goats as a preventative and if so how often?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I am going to make this our topic this week and next week (starting monday) we will have a new topic

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Honestly I had NO idea that they had them!! The only reason I noticed is that I was loving on the babies and scratching the buckling and noticed that his skin was red. When I got looking real deep down, that is when I saw them.

I looked on my adults and I had to REALLY look to see them. And I pet down ALL my goats every night,

4. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    For my herd this is what I do.

Every time I trim hooves part of my basic goat care is to do a lice prevention with permectin II mixed according to directions with water in a spray bottle and sprayed down the topline from neck to tail. Lice can be hard to see and that is why prevention is important to me. Some people dust with sevens but I pet, scratch and touch my goats alot and got tired of the dust quick. I also got some dust in the eye of one goat and it got irritated and had to be treated so the spray works better for me.

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    where can you find this spray? do you put it in a hand spray bottle or does it come in one?

how expensive is it usually?

I dislike sevin dust so if this works the same I am VERY interested in keeping some on hand or knowing where to get it.

What is it labled for?

6. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Permectrin II 8 oz (237cc) bottle $5.49 Labeled for large livestock and sheep, poultry and dogs. Permethrin in the active ingredient. They do sell it in a larger bottle.

10cc in 1 gallon of water or like I do 2.5 cc in 1 quart of water in a hand sprayer. You can also use as a dip to treat mites, fleas and ticks. using the same as above and use 1 quart per animal either by spray or dipping but do not reapply for 2 weeks. For poultry you double the amount of permectrin II in the same amount of water.

You can see that the 8oz bottle last forever.

You can also use this as a spray for the barn walls and floors

40 cc per 1 gallon of water put in a sprayer.

7. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    So if I just go ahead and spray them with it, then if they do have them it will kill them, right? I haven't checked them yet, but I figured I would just go ahead and spray them regardless of whether they have it or not.

You said you use it every time you trim hooves. How often do you trim hooves? I usually just spot check my herd and trim as needed, so I will have to set up up on like a so many months thing and spray them then.

8. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    It works for 30 days when sprayed on them (be sure to use the stream and not mist on your sprayer) but I only do it when I trim hooves. Every 2 months I get my goats on the stand one by one and do a full check up and trim hooves, do lice prevention, check teeth, gums and eyelids. I do a rub down to check for lumps and bumps and worm if necessary. I also do spot checks on eyelids and hooves but every 2 months I do the above if needed or not.

9. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    Teresa, that is a great thing to know about permectin. I wasn't sure how it would affect a pregnant doe so I used acv down the spine on all my goats and it seemed to help. I will try thr permectin next time.

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Wow I will have to get me some of that stuff. Sounds much easier to do then the Sevin.

11. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    It is safe for pregnant Does, right?

12. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Yes it is Brandi -

I talked with my vet and she said that as long as it is labeled for "dairy cows" we are ok to use it and Permectin II is. I bought an 8 oz bottle last night and it was 7.89 in the feed store. I wanted it NOW that is why I did not call around to get it. I am going out to clean the birthing stall and then I am mixing some up and treating mom tonight (Baby was treated with kitten powder last night) and then I am doing everyone else tommorow when i do the big area.

I noticed this morning after using kitten dust, that both mom and baby were no where itchy like they were before.

13. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    That's great!! I will have to pick up some this week and start treating mine about every two months as well.

14. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Since I know that I have them, I am going to treat every 10 days until I know that they are gone, then I will do preventative after that.

15. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Another thing I want to mention is that goat lice is species specific. So if you goat gets lice don't panic about your kids petting them or your dogs getting it as well.

16. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Please read the bottle before you use it. You are not to supposed to reapply before 2 weeks.

17. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I will call my vet back to be sure, cause gestation on the eggs is 10 - 14 days....... But good point Teresa!

I will let you know what I find out!!!

18. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    I was just about to ask that... but now I have another question. If the lice are species specific then how do you get your herd effected? Purchasing goats with lice? Because if you hay hasn't been around goats before you bring it to your farmt hen it shouldn't be carrying them, right?...maybe?

Also, whenever I purchase a goat before it goes on the trailer it gets its hooves sprayed with a bleach/water mixture and then before it comes off the trailer I worm it and trim hooves (if needed). So would the lice treatment also be a good thing to start doing before taking the goat off the trailer? We quarantine any new animals for 1-2 weeks. So is that a long enough period of time for the spray to kill any lice they might have, that way they are definitely pest free before I release them with my herd?

19. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    that I don't know Brandi - but maybe cow lice and goat lice are more simular.

Good question maybe someone will have an answer (I will also look it up in my goat book)