1/28 CD/T usages why or why not

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by StaceyRosado, Jan 28, 2008.

1. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Ok lets get a discussion going on about CD/T.

Just state what you do, why or why not and how effective your management has been.

Lets get talking

2. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I do vaccinate for CD-T....I have only had goats for 2 years but I haven't had any problems with it since I have been vaccinating. I vaccinate at a month old and then again at 2 months. All adults coming onto my property are vaccinated for it also. I check with the previous owners to see when the last vaccine was given or if they give that vaccine.

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I do use CD/T..
    The reason we use it, they are out in the pasture and you never know when thy might get into something that is a little"rich".
    The reason I believe it should be done. If they were to lets say for some reason just (Eat like we do at lets say Thanksgiving), then if they have NOT had the shot, they they could get really sick from it and it could kill them before you realize something is wrong. If you do the shot it will at least help to balance things out in their rumen ,and you will have a better chance of saving them.
    As for the babies.
    Lets say that a baby get locked away for the mom for a while and has not eaten in a long time, when the baby gets to mom, they will eat and eat. They really do not know when to stop, so they will feel like we do at Thanksgiving. The problem is they do not know what to do for the pain and all, and they could die for "over eaters". That is what it is for. Over eaters.

I think they need to come out with a shot for us for over eaters. :greengrin:

Plus that tetanus. Goats get into everything as we all know

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    We do not vaccinate at all. I can see the use of one vaccination when they are babies, but personally I do not feel or see the need to vaccinate on a regular schedule of a couple times a year. It seems unnecessary and a goat should have developed immunity to the disease after 1 or 2 shots. That is just my 2 cents. When my buck and wether got dehorned I had the vet give them the tetanus antitoxin just in case.

Even though we do not give vaccinations, it does not mean that we don't do anything at all. We give nosodes, which is the homeopathic version of a vaccination. We give nosodes for entero, tetanus, orf(soremouth) and E Coli. To safeguard against entero, we always keep baking soda out free choice, and if we have a goat that goes off feed or acts off, they get a shot of Fortified B Complex along with a dose of thiamin. We also give Milk of Magnesia and olive oil to encourage rumen function during the sick time.

As tetanus prevention, besides giving the nosode, anytime a goat gets cut or scratched, we immediatly clean the wound out with peroxide and put calendula and/or hypericum tincture on the wound. We also give the remedies Ledum(for open wounds and bites), Hypericum(for repair of damaged tissue and prevention of infection) and Arnica for pain.

We have never had a goat come down with tetanus or entero by doing these things.

5. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Sara, where do you get your nosodes? Could you PM me about them....

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Sara.
    I do agree with you. We have been doing the CDT just because when we started into goat, that is what they told us we had to do. I would LOVE to stop doing them, but I am just to scared. I figured as soon as I do something will happen.

It is a total personal choice.

(Just a worry thing)

7. PACE

PACE New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Mass
    Mine get the shots once a year at their vet appointment. They have always been perfectly healthy, have never seen any side effects from the shot (even though I've only had goats for 2 years).

8. Bona Fide

Bona Fide New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Kentucky
    I'd like to know where you find your nosodes too, if you don't mind my asking.

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the facts about tetanous are that it can not live where there is oxygen present. So if the wound bleeds or is large enough to allow oxygen in then the chances of tetanous setting in are more like 100-1
    Now if a goat gets a puncture wound this kind of wound closes up as the object is removed. If an owner doesn't see the puncture tetanous can set in if the bacteria is present to do so.

This is coming from a Doctor. So I would assume it falls the same across the board.

Now i heard this but not sure if it is true or why:

"If you have horses there is a great chance for tetanous."

Anybody know why this would be the case?

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    as to the CD/T usage - yes I do use it.

But only because I sell the kids and it is easier to say "yes they are all up on their shots" now if the buyer does not want the kid to have it I will not give the CD/T Most buyers want it and I provide it free of charge because I want the best for my kids.

As to the yearly booster Sarah - it does seem overredundant but I do know that in humans we need boosters on like the tetanous every few years. I wonder why it can't be every few years for goats?

11. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    We have always done CDT. Twice yrly. The main reason is that that is what I was taught to do from my breeder. Since we've never had a problem with it, we continue. We have property that is filled with all kinds of old nails & wire that the former owners used to dump anything anywhere. The good old days when you just burned your trash, threw it under bldgs or into the blackberries. Between the LGD and me, we find tons of junk, potentially harmful should a goat step on it. Or get scratched or gouged.
    The overeating part is not much of a concern....if someonoe could break the label down??

This is a good time to check if you need a tetnus shot yourself you human Goatspots! Just had my booster, who's next?

Stacey you & I posting about the same time...if someone asks for no CDT done I will also accomodate them. I stay on my program unless requested otherwise.

12. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I do vaccinate with CD/T mainly for the tetnus, just like kids you never know whatyour goat is going to get into. I give my does one shot about six weeks before the kid. Kids get a shot at four weeks and eight weeks. And then everyone gets yearly booster right before fair time. This is just the recommended dosage that i have heard from vets. so this is what i use.
    this site has a good breakdown of the vaccine
    http://www.jefferslivestock.com/ssc/pro ... f_id=16741
    you can also read more bu clicking on the line that says view label information.
    beth

13. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    I vaccinate for CD/T when they are 3 weeks old, 3 months old, and yearly. Tetnus wouldn't be a huge problem, but extertoxiemia could be. Our friend lost a buck to that recently. If our goats escape [which has happened many times] I want them to be safe from that.

14. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OK, Let me ask this?

IS there a certain brand that you like better then others.

Like Bar Vac, or the Colorado Serum. And Why or does it matter?

15. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have heard Colorado Serum leaves less of a bump if injected wrong. But I have Bar Vac - I am going to order Colorado Serum to see if I can tell a difference though this year.

16. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    When I use the Bar Vac, I get that lump all the time no matter how much rubbing I do. I have a health check and the vet was a little worried about it. I told him it was the CDT injection. He opened it and he agreed with me.
    We had a discussion about the different ones. I told him what I have found out about them, and he said he would start paying more attention to it.
    Well at a clinic he put on, he told the people about what I had told him and then there is asked everyone to raise their hands if they use Bar Vat, then Colorado Serum. He then asked the question if they have lumps. About 95% of the people the use the Bar Vac all had the lumps, and only about 5% with the Colorado Serum.
    We talked about it and he said he was surprised that no one ever brought it up to him before I did.

17. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    bar vac is so easy to find so hopefully colorado serum will soon as well.

18. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I don't vaccinate, I have found that the kids that I have that were born on our farm (without vaccines) were healthier than my vaccinated goats. They had more of a resistance to sickness. I will vaccinate if someone wants their kid to be vaccinated. I havent had any pf my goats get a cut since I have been raising them *knock on wood*. We have used very safe fencing and have comed their pasture for anything that could hurt them.

19. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I was using Bar-Vac and switched to Colorado Serum because of the lumps. Those lumps never go away on their own it seems....I have to vaccine lumps now that I need to lance. I know they are vaccine lumps because I note the injection site when I give injections. I ordered my colorado serum vaccine from Jeffers and it was inexpensive.

20. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    note: if ordering a vaccine from jeffers try to order it in the winter months to keep from having to purchase the extra icepack and a cooler (and no you can't opt out of it, they make you purchase those extra items to keep it cool during transport) it isn't that bad but like an extra 3.50-4.00 which is almost doubling the actual cost of the vaccine. BEST to order now if you are thinking of purchasing a vaccine from Jeffers.

Learned this the hard way.