1 boy and 2 sisters

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by DaGoatandPugLady, Jul 1, 2020.

1. DaGoatandPugLady

DaGoatandPugLady Active Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Fort Worth, TX
    Hi all,

Wondering what I should. I usually band or castrate around 3 1/2 - 4 months old. The problem is I have a 6 1/2 weeker with his two sisters now and I’m quarantining them away from my main herd.

I don’t want to risk him getting them pregnant. So I considered wethering him now before he’s 8 weeks old... Don’t see much choice in the matter. Am I correct thinking this.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Awfully young, you may have to wait, but separate him from the does.

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Wait as long as you can. If he isn't extending, you are ok.

4. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    If the sisters are also 6.5 weeks old then there is no reason to castrate him early. Wait for the 12 weeks or later.

Moers kiko boars and K's boys like this.
  5. DaGoatandPugLady

Nov 19, 2018
    Fort Worth, TX
    Hi Saltey!!

I’m confused by this. They are also his age. Are you saying he won’t impregnate them? I was under the assumption males will impregnate sisters and mom when 8 weeks or older.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  6. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    In my opinion, doelings are not capable of becoming pregnant at 8 weeks old. I have never seen a doeling come into heat before 6 months of age. I've heard many people say Nigerian Dwarves can become pregnant young but never seen any actual documentation of this.

7. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    But yes, breeding of the dams could be a concern, but you indicated they were separated.

8. DaGoatandPugLady

Nov 19, 2018
    Fort Worth, TX
    No, they are not separated. That’s my concern. Do I castrate him early to keep him with his siblings or move him in with the goats that don’t know him / before quarantine is up?

9. DaGoatandPugLady

Nov 19, 2018
    Fort Worth, TX
    Him and his sisters are separated from my main herd.

10. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I will band at 8 weeks if necessary. Hold off as long as you can. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Keeping him with mom or moving him to another pen is ultimately up to you since you know all the animals best.

toth boer goats likes this.