The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Wondering what I should. I usually band or castrate around 3 1/2 - 4 months old. The problem is I have a 6 1/2 weeker with his two sisters now and I’m quarantining them away from my main herd.

I don’t want to risk him getting them pregnant. So I considered wethering him now before he’s 8 weeks old... Don’t see much choice in the matter. Am I correct thinking this.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the sisters are also 6.5 weeks old then there is no reason to castrate him early. Wait for the 12 weeks or later.
Hi Saltey!!

I'm confused by this. They are also his age. Are you saying he won't impregnate them? I was under the assumption males will impregnate sisters and mom when 8 weeks or older.

Reactions: Moers kiko boars

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, they are not separated. That’s my concern. Do I castrate him early to keep him with his siblings or move him in with the goats that don’t know him / before quarantine is up?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Him and his sisters are separated from my main herd.

·
Super Moderator
59,804 Posts
I will band at 8 weeks if necessary. Hold off as long as you can. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Keeping him with mom or moving him to another pen is ultimately up to you since you know all the animals best.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts