1 goat nearly killed the other...

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by cj_mack, Mar 17, 2010.

1. cj_mack

cj_mack New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Hi,
    I got home from work today, to find the 2 goats with their chains tangled with each other. On closer inspection, I found the chain from 1 goat was wrapped extremely tightly around the throat of the other one. It was still breathing and conscious, but its bleating didn't sound normal, so I imagine it was pressing on his voice box. It was also frothing a little bit at the nose.

I untangled them, and the one that was being strangled seems ok, but a little bit timid. I'm not sure how long they were like that before I came home, however I am going to keep an eye on them as much as I can over the next few days to see that they are ok.

How did it happen you may ask? Well the goats are used to mow the sides of our long driveway. We have a metal stake hammered into the ground, with a wire running off each side of it to each of the goat houses. There is then a piece of hose on the wire at the metal stake end, to stop the goats getting too close to the stake and getting tangled. One of the goats had pulled so hard on his wire at some point that it had tipped the house over towards the metal stake, therefore putting a lot of slack on the wire. He then had enough length to reach the other goat and wrap around him.

I have now attached each wire to a separate metal stake, and even put a stake in against the goat house in question, so as it can't move. The other goat house weighs approx 100kg, so isn't going anywhere.

Is there anything I need to watch out for and to check them for?

2. 7acreranch

7acreranch New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Eastern OK
    I don't know how most on this board feel but a goat on a tether is never a good idea. The answer to your question could be as simple as they wanted to be closer or there could have been a threat by a dog or other animal.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have tied out my goats with good success but only when I am home and I check on them every hour if I cant see them from my window.

I would never leave a goat tied out longer or when I was gone - its asking for an accident like you experienced to happen. No matter what kind of precautions you put in place goats are bound to create something. What if a neighbors dog gets loose and starts chasing them?

4. WarPony

WarPony New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Michigan
    have you maybe tried those heavy duty dog cables? They are not very flexible at all and might help prevent tangling and wrapping around. The goat i had years ago lived her life on a tether because she was a major escape artist and those cables worked better than anything to keep her from getting tangled in it.

As far as things to watch out for... I'm still new this goat thing myself, but in general (with any animal, i mean, not sure if it is different with goats) after a traumatic scary experience i watch to make sure they are staying hydrated (make sure their gums are pink, then press on em and see if the white spot from pushing on their gums goes away fast. if it stays a while they are probably dehydrated... or pull up on their skin and it should go right back down, if it stays tented up they need fluids) and i watch their appetite. Sometimes an animal that wasn't actually hurt can get so scared it goes into shock. It will act lethargic and get dehydrated and lose it's appetite.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with the others....

I am glad.. you caught it in time.....what a scary thing.... for both you and the goats... :hug:

When a goat gets stressed...it seems that worms and cocci... may be triggered... I would watch ...for any of those signs ....

or acting off and not eating or drinking water... which may be pneumonia... take there temp.. if this occurs...it running a fever then antibiotics should be administered... :hug:

The goats may be OK and not develop any complications.... but these are just some things to watch for..... :hug:

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Unless you want dead goats PLEASE do not tie them up. Like Stacey said it is OK if you are home and can watch them. It was only by the grace of god that the one was not killed.

I have heard of so many people doing this and even if they do not get tangled with the rope, they get killed by a dog, coyote or whatever. They can not run and get away from something coming to attack them.

7. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA
    I lived by a lady who had a 3 hoofed buck. Her buck had lost its hoof when a rope wrapped around it. Poor guy walked on the stump of what was left. She still tied her goats up every day all day long. She would lose about one a year this way from dog attacks, sun strock, broken necks and other ways.
    Now I wil high line my goats when we are hiking. This is tying the rope off another rope that is above there heads with no way to get it wraped around there feet or the goat next to them but I would never gound tie a goat. Even if I was home.
    I love potable stock panels. It takes min to set up and move. If you need a short but long run cut the panels down. I have a couple cut at only 4' wide so we can have them graze between fence and drive way.
    Good luck with you goats. I am vary glad they where ok.

8. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
  9. cj_mack

cj_mack New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Thanks for your replies. I havn't got back on here as I have had no internet connection since my first post.

The reasons I have them tethered is that I don't have a field available to let them run around in, and there are no predators around that they need to run from. The neighbours don't have dogs on their farms, and we don't have animals like Coyotes etc in our country.

I also have the wires running at a height above their heads so as they don't get tangled in them. Both goat houses are now firmly anchored to the ground so as they don't move. I also check on them several times a day when they are in a place where I can't see them, however most of the time I can see them from the house.

I appreciate your concern, and I have made them as safe as I can. I don't want anything happening to them as much as the rest of you, so I have done all that I can. I think over time I will look at buying some sort of portable fencing.

As for the troubled goat, he seems absolutley fine, absolutely healthy, just needs a wash as the grass he is in at the moment is very sticky!

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    glad to hear everyone is doing well :D

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Happy that he is better... :hug: :greengrin:

12. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Very glad to hear that all is well.

In all the years as a kid growing up that my mom had goats, hers were always staked thru the day to browse, part of my sisters and my responsibility was to be sure each could not get tangled and that each had a fresh bucket of water available..... never had an issue with them being tied, but then again I do recall my dad shooting a dog that was "hiding" in the crab apples watching them...we never did find out who it belonged to.
    The goats had a shed with stalls to go into at nite and were bedded down at night fall to be safe and tied out again the next morning.