1-month-old with scours -- mom improving a bit!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by farmergal, Mar 18, 2010.

1. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    One of my twins born Feb 19 just started scouring. I did look up past posts about this but all the ones I found were different aged goats... Anyway, Middy has smelly yellowish (almost mucus-looking) diarrhea. The kind that really squirts out. In fact I am still smelling it and just noticed that it got on my shirt and shorts when I was giving her some Pepto. :shades: Gotta love it when you find chicken/goat/sheep poo on yourself.

How do I know if this is cocci? Do I start treating it like it is? I just gave her 6 cc's of Pepto because I read about that in other posts. I have Probios gel... should I give her that too? Any help is appreciated!!

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Re: 1-month-old with scours

Stinky diarrhea in any kid 3 weeks old and older could be coccidia...If you can get a sample to a vet for a fecal tomorrow it would be best, if you start treatment for cocci before the fecal it will benefit the kid IF it is confirmed coccidia. I advise the fecal ASAP but if it were my kid and I have dealt with cocci before I would start dosing with what I have on hand which is 12.5% DiMethox at 1cc per 5# day one and 1cc per 10# days 2-5....continue the pepto and make sure she's drinking and eating, no grain just hay and maybe some dry oatmeal.

Getting the fecal is important, if it turns out that it isn;'t cocci, the meds won't hurt the kid and you'll know exactly what it is that caused the scours.

3. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas

Its also best to collect the sample before you start the treatment. This way it doesn't interfeer with what hes seeing and give a false report. This goes for when you worm also.

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

:thumbup:

5. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California

will get the fecal and get it to the vet first thing in the morning! thanks for the help :) I hope she's okay... in other news, I have noticed (just today) her trying to eat dirt. could this be a symptom of something being wrong, or the cause?

6. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas

The dirt could be the cause. Any thing new causes scours and the dirt is a new thing. The baby eating dirt is not anything to worry about cause, just like human babies, everything goes in the mouth. The baby is just tasting its new environment. Cocci can be picked up from the ground and injested by the baby. This is something to worry about. You can't stop goats from eating dirt, especially babies, so you have to treat for cocci and worms. Hope this makes sense.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

eating dirt means she can be ingesting parasite eggs or even ecoli.

Its inevitable they will eat dirt and nibble on things so dont feel like you are doing something wrong.

8. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California

Now this is weird. Mom started scouring too. Which is bad because she's a big milk producer... she was fine yesterday but this morning there was green goop all over her bum, and her udder was semi-deflated.

The kid is doing a bit better tho. But I am still thinking I should bring both samples (mom's and kid's) to the vet... what do you think? Does this suggest it's just some kind of 24 hour flu thing? Or...?

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Re: 1-month-old with scours -- now mom scouring too...

dont know - were they are rich grass any time recently?

a fecal of mom and kid wouldnt be bad - but if one has somethign then the other probably does so if you cant afford two fecals just get one

10. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    Re: 1-month-old with scours -- now mom scouring too...

I got fecal samples from both mom and kid. Kid's was fine, in mom's they found 1 worm and 1 cocci in the whole thing (it was a pretty small sample but according to the tech that is fairly normal).

Middy, the doe kid, is doing fine now. But the bad news is that mom is not doing good. Her udder is not refilling well, and she's not letting the kids nurse. She just tries to go off by herself. The kids are acting hungry and complaining. I checked mom's eyelids and gums and they are a pale pink.

I gave her Pepto and Probios. I tried to get her to eat some oatmeal and she licked it for a while and then left. Should I take her to the vet? ($ is tight right now and I just paid for the fecals...) Should I worm her? I am worried and not sure what to do...

PS -- no change in diet or pasture... no new grass, in fact since the sheep were lambing they have been in the pasture with the goats and they have eaten everything down to nubs!

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Re: 1-month-old with scours -- mom not doing good now...

Get mom some nutri drench as well as dose her with pepto...30cc to help the runs, also get her to drink, add molasses to the warmish water to entice her. Getting her water intake up will help with milk production....a shot of B Complex will help her appetite too. Seeing as how the fecal was ok...I'd get her temp to be sure she's not running a fever.

12. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California

Thank you thank you thank you for the advice! Going outside to do that now.

13. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009

We also fed our goats watered down gatorade(none of them like molasses water). It worked well to keep them hydrated through the runs...

14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

I truly agree with the others... a fecal would be good..... :hug:

15. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

she got the fecal - it was clean (or so the vet said)

I would take her temp -- normal is 101-103

16. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California

Her udder is slightly more full this morning but still not like normal. I didn't see evidence of diarrhea from overnight but she passed a bit of green goop (really runny) this morning while I was watching her. She is looking really skinny... no rumen activity happening.

Temp is 99.7, is this close enough to normal range?

17. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

normal range is 101-103 so no thats low.

I have one goat who when she has an infection she gets a low temp and now a high temp. could be a possibility for your doe.

the kid is ok I take it?

green usually means feed induced or I experienced a goat with a bowel infection with green SMELLY poo.

18. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California

Yeah Middy the kid is doing great except a bit annoyed that Emily (mama) suddenly doesn't want her nursing all the time. Every time I hold Emily still to give her something or take her temperature the twins LEAP onto the udder.

Weirdly enough I really haven't changed anything with the feed. But I am going to keep a close eye on her for the next couple hours and then decide whether I need to take her to the vet. This always happens on a Friday or a Saturday, doesn't it? Vet isn't open on Sunday so it's now or 2 days from now... :sigh:

19. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

If she is on lush new spring growth grasses....it could be the culprit.... If it is....just a little grazing each day...then slowly increase each time out on those grasses.......should do the trick...also feeding some oat... grass ....or straw type hay.. may help to bind her poo... :hug:

20. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California

I called the vet and he didn't think I needed to bring her in so I'm :pray: she will get better soon. I did drive down to the vet to pick up some B complex and Vita-charge paste which is what he recommended. He also said I could give her Pepto like 3 times a day, that it doesn't last very long so I should administer it frequently. He also guessed that somehow the little family (mom + twins) got into something the other goats didn't, seeing as how the little one had scours and then the mom started scouring. He said usually the kids don't transfer viruses or diseases on to mom, so it was probably food related. He also recommended giving molasses water to keep her hydrated.

SO, in other words, the vet said pretty much EXACTLY what y'all said. Just another reason that TGS is so awesome :) Thanks everyone for the advice and I'll keep you updated. Poor Emily now runs when she sees me coming, I don't think she likes Pepto much, or having a thermometer stuck up her bum, who can blame her? I did catch her drinking out of the water trough and eating some hay... so hopefully she will get better soon.