The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1 month old male that can’t stand up on his own. I’ve taken him to 2 vets. Blood work is normal. Temp normal. Xrays normal. They have no clue. What should I do. He has moments where he can walk and other times he falls over. No diarrhea. Bottle fed and I switched his food to a milk replacement.

·
Super Moderator
32,155 Posts
^^good question. How long has this been going in? Any seizure like behavior or other signs of trouble?

Reactions: EJskeleton

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is new. I went to feed him Wednesday morning and he was on his side and was swaying trying to get up but couldn’t. I stood him up and he couldn’t stand or walk. After 3 vet visits he was standing and walking but still couldn’t get up on his own. Today he’s not standing or walking and is crying when I try to stand him up. He is panting as well.
Has he ever been able to stand or is this something new?

·
Super Moderator
32,155 Posts
On coccidia prevention? Hows his poop? Temp? Give a shot of b complex now..as a support..3-4 cc sub q. Check his famacha (Lower inner eye lid color).

·
Super Moderator
32,155 Posts
Also what is he fed? Goats milk or replacer? Anything new?

·
Super Moderator
32,155 Posts
@JML Farms , im actually getting on a plane..so im off...hope this little guy recovers

·
Registered
874 Posts
Ok. Let's start with the feeding issue. Whole cows milk is preferred over milk replacer. They do much better on it. As a rule of thumb, feed bottle babies 10-12% of their body weight in ounces 3-4 times per day. So let's take your baby. 12.5 lbs x 16 oz = 200 oz 200oz x 12% = 24 oz per day 24oz / 4 = 6 ounces per feeding. You can go up to 15-20% for a larger breed. However, my concern is you may be feeding too much which can lead to a condition called floppy kid syndrome and cause other issues.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok. Let's start with the feeding issue. Whole cows milk is preferred over milk replacer. They do much better on it. As a rule of thumb, feed bottle babies 10-12% of their body weight in ounces 3-4 times per day. So let's take your baby. 12.5 lbs x 16 oz = 200 oz 200oz x 12% = 24 oz per day 24oz / 4 = 6 ounces per feeding. You can go up to 15-20% for a larger breed. However, my concern is you may be feeding too much which can lead to a condition called floppy kid syndrome and cause other issues.
That’s what I was concerned about to and the vet told me that amount. So I don’t know what to do.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Yes, you can treat for floppy kid, but I’m concerned with why both vets didn’t think this was the problem. Did they give him any type of meds or at least do a fecal to check for parasites or coccidia? A shot of b vitamins should perk him up if u have some.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.