The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 6 goats. 4 pygmy - 2 larger mutts. 3 does. 3 wethers.

One of my large wethers (approx 9 years old) has been getting thinner and thinner. Now that he has completly shed, his coat looks very thin and his skin looks dry (almost like dandruff). All the other 5 goats look great. He is the biggest and most aggresive so I feel like he gets enough food. They all wait until he is done eating.
I thought it would get better as the temp warmed up but he looks worse than ever. No worming in years, but they never leave my back yard. I am almost scared to worm at this point since he is so thin. I just don't know why he looks terrible and the rest of the herd is fat and sassy. Vet is over 30 miles away. What should I ask when I call them? He has never been, but I don't want to loose him. He has a great personality!

·
Registered
387 Posts
I would get his teeth checked, a fecal done and then a Johnes test to start.
What colour are the inside of his eyelids?

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
He will most likely need wormed. You should get a vet to check a fecal sample to see what kind of worms he may have and then treat for them. The worms are on the grass / foliage that they eat. Round tummies may indicate worms as well. Look at their eyelids and gums- what color are they? They should be a nice healthy pink-google FAMANCHA scale to compare color.

He probably has lice- check the dandruff- do you see small bugs? Do you have a picture you could post for those here with more knowledge than myself?

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
sounds like he is under stress...I agree,,check for lice..check his inner lower eye lids for color...you want to see bright pink to red color...have a fecal done if you can and if not I would go a head and worm him since you have not wormed him ever...I would choose Ivomec Plus which covers a good base... 1 cc per 40# sub Q..I would not do orally, it can kill off worms too fast...and with him never being wormed..slow is better
B complex will help energy and appitite
Do check his teeth as well...watch him at feeding time, see how he does..
Check his temp...the vet should ask what it is..I use a cheap digital and of course rectal...temp should range between 101.5 and 103.5...
if his skin is very flaky and has irritations could also be mites..Ivomec plus will take care of that as well..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2 questions:

1. What is the best way for me to weigh my large skinny goat? He is way too big for me to pick up.

2. If this is a worm/parasite problem do I need treat my whole herd or only the skinny goat?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh and he has a crazy good appetite. He eats everything I give them and is still is very thin. They all tend to loose a bit of weight in the winter, but this is different and he is not bouncing back at all. I am going out now to check his eyelids...

·
Super Moderator
58,933 Posts
Just treat the goats that need to be dewormed. It sounds like a fecal is in order and make sure they include coccidia. If they have been on the same pasture, then there are probably parasites in your dirt. It only takes 3 years for a clean pasture to have parasites on it when animals are on it, even if the animals were parasite free when they first went on it.

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
I agree with Karen...a fecal would be a good idea, better to know what you are dealing with if you can.......here is a link to a weight chart..how to measure and convert to pounds : ) No need to pick him up;)
http://fiascofarm.com/goats/weight-chart.htm

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Eyelids are pretty pale. What does that mean? He is on a better grazing spot today and I have isolated him from the rest of the herd just in case. Hopefully I will be able to get a hold of the vet tomorrow.

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
if you look at the chart from this link
http://goat-link.com/content/view/110/107/#.UeXQWGSDTL8
you will see how to assess if he is anemic...very pale to white lids means anemic ...he will need treatment

first determine what the cause..usually worms...barpole and liver fluke the common anemia maker but any worm if left long enough on its own can cause anemia...
my wormer of choice is Ivomec Plus ( 1 cc per 40 # sub Q) or Valbazen (1 cc per 10# orally)

treating for the correct worm ( 3 times 10 days apart, then once again in 30 days) and then treat for anemia

6 cc per 100# red cell doubled day one then single dose for a week..then once a week until you see good color
Vit b 12 to help him rebuild his red blood cells..
high protien grain, alfalfa and green leaves will help also

1 - 11 of 11 Posts