The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On 03/20 our doe Sofia Kovalevskaya gave birth to twins. The boy, Neil deGrasse Tyson, has been much larger since birth than his sister, Emmy Noether. Neil is a little hog and I frequently see him run up to Sofia first, Emmy then joins shortly after, but they obviously both get cut off from drinking at the same time. Emmy just seems so much thinner to me than Neil does and I'm wondering if I should try to supplement Emmy's milk intake? She now weighs 70.5 oz at 10 days old. Her mom is a medium sized goat.
This was her yesterday afternoon.

And a picture of both as a token

·
Registered
11,162 Posts
It's good to catch this at 1 week old. Before jumping to bottle supplementation, I would see if you can hold Sofia 2-4 times a day and let Emmy have a good long go at the udder without Neil. Typically a doe will become accustomed to this in a couple days and you can just stand at her head to allow it.

How much did Emmy weigh at birth?

Did Sofia have selenium during pregnancy? Did she pass her placenta easily? Were the kids quick to stand & nurse? I'm asking because sometimes those kinked ears can be a sign of selenium deficiency or it's just their shape! But wanted to make sure weren't missing part of the puzzle.

Also, if Sofia hasn't been dewormed yet, most does need it after kidding as the stress allows a worm bloom. Parasites will decrease milk production so be sure to do that if you haven't already.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's good to catch this at 1 week old. Before jumping to bottle supplementation, I would see if you can hold Sofia 2-4 times a day and let Emmy have a good long go at the udder without Neil. Typically a doe will become accustomed to this in a couple days and you can just stand at her head to allow it.

How much did Emmy weigh at birth?

Did Sofia have selenium during pregnancy? Did she pass her placenta easily? Were the kids quick to stand & nurse? I'm asking because sometimes those kinked ears can be a sign of selenium deficiency or it's just their shape! But wanted to make sure weren't missing part of the puzzle.

Also, if Sofia hasn't been dewormed yet, most does need it after kidding as the stress allows a worm bloom. Parasites will decrease milk production so be sure to do that if you haven't already.
I just wormed Sofia as her eyelids were looking a little pale. I also gave her some B12. All three got BoSe after birth ( 2 cc's for Sofia and 1 cc for the twins).
Of course I never weighed them after they were born.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Neil was up and nursing a lot quicker than Emmy though. It took her about 20 minutes longer, but she was also the second born. Emmy also walks fine and doesn't trip. She just seems to lose track of her mom and Neil a lot more often than Neil does, as she is always the one standing around alone and screaming for both of them 🙈
I will try to get Sofia to hold still for Emmy in a bit. Of course, she also has to be the naturally polled goat with a lot of attitude hahaha

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What breed are they? Have you had mama checked for worms? Does the baby girl have weak legs & does she fall a lot when trying to walk like more then normal?
Also, Sofia is some kind of mix. I have no idea what breed her mom or dad are. Or what breed the twins dad is. They are all just pets and somewhat of a "hand-me-down" from my father-in-law.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is she the last white goat?
No, that's Sofia's mom, Susie. She had a big boy that looked like Emmy, but he didn't make it :( the vet thinks it was either, because he was stuck for too long before the vet got out here (he was 9 lbs) or something was misdeveloped internally to begin with.

Sofia is the first one. She is brown/tan in summer and more black in winter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice names! I've never known goats named after famous mathematicians or astronomers. Very unique!! A lot of mine usually end up with names like Butthead, Chuck, Big Billy, Old Nanny, or Hop.
Thank you! My mom and I one day decided to name our hamster Marie Curie and our cat Charles Darwin. I decided to continue the tradition 😊
...but nobody but me remembers 20+ scientist goat names + 4 scientist cat names 😅

1 - 14 of 14 Posts