The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, one of the twin doelings born 2/20/08, Macy is looking off. She has her tail tucked and no other symptoms really. Her temp is 102.4, she doesn't act weak, and she is nursing, but until yesterday she had her tail up like normal so I'm concerned something is going on. Any ideas? D

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
did the temperature drop? My goats dont like to have their tail up if it is cold out.

I would really watch to make sure she is peeing and pooping - you say she is nursing but maybe she isn't getting enough.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stacy, the temp is in the lower 70's today, but it is very windy.
You may be right about her not getting enough milk. Her mom is a FF and she will go out to graze and leave them for a few hours then let them nurse and go off again. Her sister Myrna wasn't looking like Macy so I didn't really think about that, but maybe it is just catching up with them? Myrna's tail was up earlier, but now she is tucking it at times. Will it hurt anything if I try to get her to take some cow milk from a bottle? Will mom reject her completely if I supplement her feedings? How much should I try to get in her to be supplementing? These are boers, Macy weighs 8lbs and Myrna weighs 7. Thanks again, D

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
That's exactly what my two kids were doing and I checked their bottoms and noticed some little pus filled bumps. I had a thread asking about it called "question about 2 of my babies." I don't know if that is the case with yours though. :shrug:

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
As long as they are getting some milk from mom still and she is bonded to them, then supplementing them with cows milk should not cause mom to reject them.

I would try it to see - it is worth it in my oppion so that you can rule hunger out.

I would feel their bellies, if they feel full and otherwise look satisfied then they are getting enough to eat.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Stacy!
I decided yesterday to try and bottle feed her as a supplement. She nurses the same amount of time as her twin, but maybe she isn't as effective at getting milk out? I was able to get her to take about an ounce at a time 3 or 4 times during the day and then return her to mom and sis. She is still nursing just as much from mom, but getting a little extra from me. She seems a bit better today, her tail isn't tucked anymore, now it's about half mast. LOL I am going to do the same today. D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts