The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help my 1 year old Nigerian Buck has urinary calculi. I noticed him shaking and not acting right on Saturday and thought our older buck had possibly hurt him. We seperated him and on Sunday I realized what the issue was when we exposed the penis the removed the thin piece off the end it was white and full of grit. The head of his penis was a nasty purple color. I have been treating him with ammonium chloride drench twice a day have given him banamine and childrens ibuprofen. he dribbles urine and sometimes bloody urine. He has been able to stream a few times that i have seen but it is a very light stream. Is there anything else i can do for him?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The vet in my area who does large animals told my mom that her dogs puppies were dead inside her and that he needed to spay her to save her life. Turns out he had a vaginal infection but it was a normal healthy pregnancy and he killed the puppies. I do not trust the guy!

·
Super Moderator
31,759 Posts
http://www.thegrinninggoat.com/uctreat.shtml

treating this on your own is risky at best...this web link has good information..but quick action is needed or your little man wont make it.. a large animal vet is your best bet..read up on what needs to be done so you can be in control when the vet looks at him.. best wished

·
Registered
54 Posts
My little bucking had it several months ago. The vet snipped off the end but I had to continue to pull back the skin & clean the crystals out by hand. I also drenched with AC. It sounds yucky but it worked & he is fine now. You might wanna drench more frequent until the flow comes back in his urination.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Drench him with 5-7 ccs of ACV every hour. You may need to have a vet tap his bladder. A small animal vet can also do it.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He is hanging in there I spoke to the large animal vet who used to treat our cows tonight. He told me to keep drenching with the ammonium chloride and prescribed Bute for the pain and inflamation. He is still dribbling and occationally has a little stream but seems to be in more pain tonight. Think he is passing another larger stone. The vet also told me to irrigate his sheath with water and epsom salt. I sure hope he makes it he is the sweetest little buck!

·
Super Moderator
31,759 Posts
awe..poor thing.....:(

·
1,379 Posts
I woudl give him:
banamin for pain
dexamethozone for inflamation(it is a steroid from the vet)
antibiotic for infection
keep up the ammonia chloride, but mix in lemon juice or apple cider vinigar
only grass hay, no grain
since he is peeing some you can offer water, but if he stops peeing his bladder will fill up fast if he keeps drinking.No snacks or treats, such as bread or crackers ect.. they are all high in phosphorus.

·
Super Moderator
31,759 Posts
I too have read may time over not to use Bute in Goats...but for the life of me I cannot find any supporting info to that fact...what I have read is both Banamine and Bute are hard on the digestive track and should be used with caution...I dont use banamine more than 3 days...I have never used bute..but even in thehorse world there is a lot of conterversy over its use....

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Reeses, the goat had already been on Banamine once a day for three days. the vet told me no more banamine and gave me bute paste to give him instead. He is still in a lot of pain expecially when passing urine but he passed more today than he has been. I am hoping the increased pain means he is getting the stones out!

·
Super Moderator
31,759 Posts
poor little man..why does the vet not clip the tip to see if that helps??The article I posted talks about that...seems it might be faster releif for him if the stones arent too big for the upper part of the penis..

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I clipped it last Sunday. the vet thinks that there are just a lot of stones and it will take time for them to pass. I am just thankful he is still peeing. I love my Reeses Pieces!

·
Super Moderator
31,759 Posts
Thats good..hopefully he can get through this...best wishes

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.