1 year old wether mountin human kids

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by LuvmyGoaties, Aug 24, 2010.

1. LuvmyGoaties

LuvmyGoaties Member

Mar 8, 2010
    My 1 year old mini LaMancha wether (Jesse) has always been very good with my son who is 3. He never has jumped up and usually is very careful when he is running. playing etc., not to knock him down. Once in a great while he has bumped into him when rough housing with his sister. Recently though, we seen to be developing a problem. My mom who lives with me watchs my 2 kids (Justin who is 3 and my DD Skyler who is 1) and she also watchs my friend's big 2 year old, Corbin (at 2 he is bigger than Justin who is a year older). When she takes the kids out during the day she would often let the goats out. Well a week a so ago she looked away for a second and then saw Corbin down on the ground crying and he had dirt on his face. Jesse (the wether) was nearby and my mom thought he had just bumped into Corbin knocking him down. It seemed like an accident, she picked Corbin up and dusted him off and didn't think anything of it. A couple days later she let the goats out again and this time she saw Jesse mount Corbin from behind, knocking him on his face.

Jesse had never done anything like that before but my mom was not taking any chance and now does not let the goats out when Corbin is over. Well, this past weekend he did the same thing to Justin. I was standing right there, Jesse had just been hanging out with us and Justin had been petting his neck, Jesse walked away for a second and then turned around and mounted Justin from behind, putting his front legs over Justin's shoulders. I smacked Jesse and threatened to sell him by the pound :veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry:.

Is there anything I can do to stop this behavior? Should I find Jesse a home and get another doe?

Jen

2. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Get a spray bottle with water and squirt Jesse in the face if he starts acting up again. If you can teach your son to use the squirt bottle (or a squirt gun that might be easier for him to hold) that would be even better.

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    FRF has a great idea. That would definately help. Other than that I would just give him a good smack on the face every time he does that, but the spray bottle seems like a great idea.

4. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    Get rid of the goat before he hurts the children. No goat is worth a child's life or health.

5. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

I have an alpaca that likes to try and mount me.....I get a spray bottle with vinager and water and spray him with it, the smell makes him back off plus he hates the water in his face. But it has worked really well. I was going to get rid of him because he was hurting me but now I love him even more

Dont give up just yet, try the spray bottle just so you can say you tried :)

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree.... :thumb: