The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Loving this forum, so much information I hardly know where to begin! I've recently moved to a house with a couple acres of field, and a barn and small woodland adjacent. I'm putting together a 1 year plan to make it all goat-appropriate (agoatpriate?)
Would love any advice from seasoned goat-keepers to get everything prepared for them as nicely as possible over the next year.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Ksalvagno and Wcd. Luckily fencing is something I'm half-way competent with. I have my eye on some Red Brand sheep and goat netting. I'm coming up with a plan to build it on my wonky uneven field.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Keep in mind they can stick their head through that fence. That is why I like the horse fence. The openings are only 2"x4" the whole way. Definitely no getting out or heads getting stuck. Unfortunately just had a member whose goat got her head stuck in the fence and predators got her.
just wondering if the same product may be marketed differently in different areas? The sheep and goat fence we use has very small openings that barely allow for me getting two fingers through.

·
Super Moderator
35,076 Posts
Welcome to the goat forum family😁
After nearly 17 years of fence battling with the goats, We are changing to horse no climb fencing as well. We have goat/sheep net wire and have to add wire on wire or goat panel to keep kids in! Mostly our minies, those little guys can squeeze through anything. I 100% agree..do it right the first time saves time, money and maybe even a goat life. Horned goat will push their heads through a cattle panel or even the 4x4 goat wire and can't get back out because if horns. Def go with horse no climb.
A shelter, goats hate getting wet and need something to get out of the wind and rain. And if you plan on breeding..then a good safe bonding area for new moms and kids to hang in a few days is nice.
And find a vet now. Laws are changing everywhere and many medications won't be available over the counter. A working relationship with a local vet is vital. In the mean time..check out the medication thread and start building your first aid kit. If you find Penicillin, tylan 200 or la 200 on the shelf. Buy it. Wont be there long.
A good quality loose mineral and goat feed source you can count on. Good hay source.
If you're on well water..having your water tested will help know what you may battle. For ex: High iron, Calcium or Sulphur can create a copper deficiency battle for you.
And finally. Know what you want from your goats and buy the very best you can afford. This may mean buying 4 quality goats instead of 8 "ok" more affordable goats. Find a reputable breeder who tests. If you want dairy, know what breed offers you not just milk but the personality, milk flavor, butterfat need (especially if you want to make cheese) and while you want good udders on all goat breeds..we are a bit more picky on our dairy. 2 good size teats, (makes hand milking so much nicer) good attachment offers longer service with less break down issues. Google what that should look like.
Of you want meat goats, same idea..pick a breed that suites your plan. Maybe you need duel purpose...pick a large dairy goats like Saanen or Nubian.
And there is always choosing small goats like Nigerian for milk or Pygmy for meat...
Lots of choices. Ask lots of questions...we love questions.

Best wishes

1 - 12 of 12 Posts