The Goat Spot Forum banner

104.9 temp

3K views 63 replies 13 participants last post by  toth boer goats 
#1 ·
9 week old buckling 104.9 temp.
He’s a little slow but poops are normal.
He’s been laying in the sun. Normal temp or no?

#5 ·
I agree . Get him in the shade and retake tempnin 30 to 40 minutes. If there is other symptoms like heavy breathing. Yellow or green snot. Lethary etc..then we may need the antibiotics.

#6 ·
Normal temp range is 101.5 to 103.5

#9 ·
Yep...if his temp is still 105 after resting in the shade..start antibiotics. Duramycine is not the best choice but if it's all you have on hand..1 cc per 20# sub q is dose. 1x a day for 5 days.

#16 ·
Thanks everyone. This is the second buckling I’ve bought recently that’s gotten sick in record time. I’ve had him for only a few days. He’s not bottle fed and I noticed his symptoms today. My other doeling who I’ve had for a while is totally healthy and fine, my other 4 adult goats I’ve had for a while are also great. Is this just a coincidence? Am I buying sick goats or is it something in the environment? I would think my other goats would be sick too if something here was going on. It’s just so odd. I bring home two bucklings from two different breeders within a week of each other and both seem to get very sick not long after being here.

#17 ·
How’s their shelter? Are there drafts, lots of dust or a strong ammonia urine odors at ground level? It’s strange that two bucklings from different breeders are having the same symptoms. Are you picking them up or are they being transported to you?
Maybe they need a heat lamp for a bit, is it cold, wet or are there big temp fluctuations…
Just asking questions not saying your setup is off….

#18 ·
It is strange but being it’s very stressful on a goat. They are hauled and stressed and then the stress of their new home, stress is not kind to their immune system and goats are known to be easily stressed as it is.
Did the other buck come into contact with this one and the others? If just him and not the other goats he possibly might have had something and then gave to the new guy while his immune system was compromised.

#20 ·
Yea I wondered that too, passing an illness. I did quarantine but probably should’ve done a better job when initially brought home. I’m in Florida we did have a big 3 day cold front and their shelter was totally enclosed but they may have needed a heat lamp. It’s hard to say. Sprinkles is my polled doeling. She’s ok so far, praying she stays that way. Adult goats are all good too. The only similar symptoms they have is lethargy but the first buckling who passed had low temp, I had to work to get it up. This new sick buckling is the opposite his temp is high. Not sure but I am very OCD about cleaning so it’s frequent cleaning practically daily around here lol. Oh and don’t worry I’m not offended I know you guys are trying to help me and I’m not a seasoned goat owner I’m sure I could be making mistakes. I appreciate everyone’s help. I gave electrolytes, Duramycin (antibiotic) and probiotics along with power punch. I’ll check temp again in morning. I believe I saw it was a 5 day course for the antibiotic so I’ll try that and see if he improves over the next few days. I know when I brought home all my new baby goats at separate times they had scours we treated for coccadia and all got better. None have been sick since and I’ve had all for at least 4 months besides my doeling whom I’ve had for about 1month and is healthy so far also. The recent last buckling who passed came home with scours so I do think he was sick to begin with, the cold weather I’m sure didn’t help and milk replacer. Quite a few possibilities…hopefully I can get this little guy in better shape. Will update you tomorrow on temp. Thanks everyone for your help.

#22 ·
Good job on being alert to him not feeling quite right. When buying kids, need to find reputable breeder who test their herd. They may cost a bit more but you are investing in healthy animals. This does not guarantee the baby won't get sick since stress can cause shipping fever/pneumonia, worm/coccidia bloom, but being healthier stock helps a lot!. When new baby gets home, giving probiotics and some b complex helps boost immunity. If old enough do coccidia prevention and dewormer. Most times kids do just fine...but a little prevention goes along way.

Best wishes

#24 ·
I’ll do antibiotics for 5 days plus corid treatment. His poop looks great thank God. I really like this polled little bucking I hope he gets well soon. Oh yea and I’ll do probiotic and electrolytes. Should I do power punch once a day? I do have vitamin b injectable but not sure if he needs that or if the sheep drench or power punch given orally will be ok as well. Thanks everyone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.