The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't figure out what's wrong with my goat.. She has a105ish temp but.. During the day she doesn't eat much alfalfa but at night will eat an entire bail.. In the day she is very sluggish but can run to the milk stand at night.. Usually she isn't like this so I am doing nutridrench and probios paste.. Any idea what it could be? Also stool is good I did fecal and just had ppm worm load which I treated for.. And no discharge out of front or back

·
Registered
31,504 Posts
Sounds like pueumonia...it can come on quick...I would treat with either tylan 200 1 cc per 25# every 12 hours (OTC) or Nuflor (RX) 3 cc per 100 #...both SUb Q I would also give banamine if you have any to help reduce the fever and B complex for the stress...add electrolytes to keep her hydrated

Homemade Electrolytes
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses ( or what you have on hand or honey)
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

·
Registered
31,504 Posts
No reaction...Its always worked good and I have used it on very young kids...

·
Registered
31,504 Posts
I would not waituntil morning to treat...they can go down hill very fast...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Things aren't the best with Martha Washington... I started nuflor and nutridrench.. This morning she had one eye shut and still only sometimes will open it.. Might be she scratched it.. Not red or puss.. During the day she looks rough but at night right now I let her out and she is grazing on grass..I hope and pray she pulls through.. Still high 105 ish temp

·
Registered
31,504 Posts
I would give her some Banamine to help reduce her fever...withher eye..if you wash it with a soft warm rag..try to take a look...she might have debree in it...look for white cloud or red ulcer...her grazing is encouraging ... b complex will help with the stress of feeling ill

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Early 6am temp was 100 this morning.. All eyes open and ran to the milk stand.. Still gave nuflor but appears to be looking better

·
Registered
31,504 Posts
100 is a bit low 101.3 is the low end of normal, but maybe its just the morning cool...give Nuflor for five full days even if she feels better,,,.so she dont relaps...Im so happy she if doing well...great Job!!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks all! I was worried..besides being my best milker she is our first goat and we really care for her and our little 4 goat herd.. So I got the nuflor on the "underground".. Does anyone have any recommendations on how I can order the vet prescribed meds? Where I live there just isn't any good goat vets

·
Registered
31,504 Posts
If one doesn't have a vet, then contact VetServUSA in North Carolina. They have LEGAL vets on staff in every state. They can get a prescription for her and ship it to her. Talk with owner Doug Peck.
5925 Ten-Ten Rd Apex, NC 27539
(919) 661-0075
many have to find out side sources when vets dont help : )

·
Administrator
84,668 Posts
You have to go to a vet, who deals with goats. Make an appointment, take a goat in, to have a vet look her over, even if, it is for a health certificate, lice problem ect. A vet legally has to have a vet/patient client relationship, in order to subscribe RX meds. So that is the only way. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts