The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2 year old Nigerian Dwarf doe that I've had for 2 and a half weeks seemed off today and didn't want any treats. She was grinding her teeth and moving a bit stiffly. I took her temperature and it was 106.1. I called the vet immediately and left a message. It didn't look like as much water had discovered from their water bucket and she's usually very interested in treats. Yesterday I found an old wound high up on her thigh but it seemed OK then and today as well, not irritated or swollen. I haven given her a dose of Replamin plus paste. I have a bag of goat electrolytes powder, but I'm not sure I should give her some or even how to do it.

My two goats are backyard pet goats, and this is the first time in my first year that any of my goats have been sick. Given my limited resources, is there anything I can do apart from waiting to hear back from the vet, which will most likely be tomorrow? And exactly how bad is 106 degrees fever?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,730 Posts
106 is very high! My first suspicion would be pneumonia. Pneumonia and mastitis are the two things that have caused fever that high in my herd, so also feel her udder and make sure there is no heat, swelling, or pain.

If you have any aspirin, that can help bring the fever down. I'm not sure what dosage to give. I'm sorry. You can Google as well as I. The other thing you can do is cold compresses under her elbows. Do you have any type of antibiotic on hand such as penicillin or LA200?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
106 is very high! My first suspicion would be pneumonia. Pneumonia and mastitis are the two things that have caused fever that high in my herd, so also feel her udder and make sure there is no heat, swelling, or pain.

If you have any aspirin, that can help bring the fever down. I'm not sure what dosage to give. I'm sorry. You can Google as well as I. The other thing you can do is cold compresses under her elbows. Do you have any type of antibiotic on hand such as penicillin or LA200?
I don't have any aspirin, only ibuprofen, and I read very mixed things about that. No antibiotics. She's shivering in waves, but stands up and stops grinding her teeth when I pet her. I don't think I'll be able to get a hold of the vet tonight but hopefully tomorrow morning. She's not been bred this year so probably not mastitis, I guess. What can cause pneumonia in a goat? Thank you for all the advice!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Apparently my brain gets a lot less efficient when I'm freaking out. I have now been to the store and bought aspirin. I followed the Fias Co website instructions and gave her 6 (1 per 10 pounds). I think I got most of it in her with a pill dispenser and some almond butter. Hopefully I can get the vet here tomorrow as early as possible. Thanks again!
 

·
Goat Crazy!
Joined
·
6,481 Posts
I also suspect pneumonia. Keep us posted. I'll be praying for you and for your doe!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
104.1 degrees this morning, but she's still clearly not feeling well. I'm not sure if I should give more aspirin at this temperature or wait until the vet can get here.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,708 Posts
104.1 degrees this morning, but she's still clearly not feeling well. I'm not sure if I should give more aspirin at this temperature or wait until the vet can get here.
Wait for the vet to give anything else. He needs see the fever and will most likely give banamine. If you have given aspirin he wont be able to and the banamine will work better.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
83,719 Posts
I agree, wait for the vet, only if it is today, when they will see the goat.

If they only want to give dosage and days of antibiotics and banamine in syringes, try to ask for a full bottle of whatever they recommend to give, that way, you will have some on hand if it happens again. It can be expensive but so worth it.

Temperature changes in weather, ups and downs can cause pneumonia, as well as being overly wormy, cocci overloads, parasites, unthrifty or stressed, to being shipped.

Also have a fecal done for worms and cocci.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31,035 Posts
Ask the vet for Nuflor (1 cc per 33# sub Q once a day for 5 days) and Banamine ( 1/4 cc per 25# sub Q once a day as needed or for 3 days) to keep on hand..powerful team against pneumonia. If you can not get to the vet today I would grab Tylan 200 (1 cc per 25# sub Q 2 times a day for 5 days) from the feed store and get her started on that ASAP along with B complex to support her system. Keep her well hydrated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got a hold of the vet this morning, and he sent instructions by text: LA-200 4.5 ml/45 kg/ 24hours for 3 days, Vitamin B complex 6ml/45 kg/24hours and Probios 5cc/day until she is better. I got all the supplies at Wilco. Once home I tried to measure her weight with different methods, but none felt right. Finally dragged ot the bathroom scale, picked her up and stepped on. 73 pounds. I did it twice. Pretty stocky girl... At Wilco they recommended the 18 gauge needle. That looks terrifying to me who never has done this before. Despite having watched 20 Youtube videos about how to do it, it turned into a circus. I started with the LA-200 and pulled up 3.3 mlb..

I don't have a milking stand yet so I tied her next to a wall so I could hold her there with my body. Well, that was the plan, at least. I was quite shaky and she is pretty strong. 4 times I got the needle in and a little bit of the drug in each time. A little bit ended up on her fur, but I think I got the majority of it in. We were both pretty shaky after this. I decided to skip the vitamin B dose that is 4.4 cl, simply because neither my goat or I was up for it. We hung out until both was calm, I gave Probios and on the way back to the pen she nibbled on some twigs and seemed pretty OK. I took her temperature 2 hours later and it was 103.4. She is still grinding her teeth and not eating treats or hay. The thing that concerns me the most at this time is that she doesn't seem to be drinking. Maybe she is drinking but so little that it doesn't show in the bucket. I'll try to find a way to see more clearly tonight, by marketing the water level or something.

I think things are going the right way. Tomorrow morning I'll try the vitamin B dose.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31,035 Posts
La 200 stings a lot. there is no way around that..but I have learned if you lift a nice big tent of skin, insert the needle..breath and relax a second then while injecting the medication..jiggle the tent..after the meds are in..jiggle it then rub. It helps some. Dose should be 1 cc per 20# sub q once a day for 5 days. If you can by chance find Biomycin, its the same medication in a different carrier and stings less. B complex needs only a 22 G needle and will not sting at all. It will get easier..and if you keep in mind this is to help her feel better..then it makes it mentally easier. Probiotics should be given 3-4 hours after the antibiotic.
 

·
Member
Joined
·
8,248 Posts
Practice giving shots to stuffed animals, a throw pillow, an orange, etc. try different things, so you can get a feel as to the needle sliding in, the resistance, what it feels like under the material (skin), etc. You will get it. The first few times are hard, then as you get used to it, things get a lot easier.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
83,719 Posts
Ask the vet for Nuflor (1 cc per 33# sub Q once a day for 5

Have to correct this dosage of Nuflor, it is 6 cc's per 100 lbs SQ for the first dosage, if a goat is really bad, then go to, 3 cc per 100lbs SQ for the remainder of the 5-7 days.

Giving antibiotics for just 3 days will not work~! Must be full course~!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
La 200 stings a lot. there is no way around that..but I have learned if you lift a nice big tent of skin, insert the needle..breath and relax a second then while injecting the medication..jiggle the tent..after the meds are in..jiggle it then rub. It helps some. Dose should be 1 cc per 20# sub q once a day for 5 days. If you can by chance find Biomycin, its the same medication in a different carrier and stings less. B complex needs only a 22 G needle and will not sting at all. It will get easier..and if you keep in mind this is to help her feel better..then it makes it mentally easier. Probiotics should be given 3-4 hours after the antibiotic.
Thank you for all these details, it's really valuable!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How is she doing?
She seems better, temperature stays at 103.4. Still some tooth grinding, and a bit stand of fish but was happy to gobble down a handful alfalfa pellets when offered. The vitamin B sweetened to kick in within minutes, I wonder if that's just happy thoughts or real... :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Have to correct this dosage of Nuflor, it is 6 cc's per 100 lbs SQ for the first dosage, if a goat is really bad, then go to, 3 cc per 100lbs SQ for the remainder of the 5-7 days.

Giving antibiotics for just 3 days will not work~! Must be full course~!
I too felt 3 days was short. What is full course?
 
1 - 20 of 115 Posts
Top