11/6/08 Getting ready for winter

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by StaceyRosado, Nov 6, 2008.

1. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    What things do you do for your barn/shelters as you get ready for winter?

Pictures are always a great help.

2. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    We always put hay on the ground and try to get anthing we could possibly need on our medical list (Don't want to have an emergency and not be able to heelp cause we're stranded. LOL)
    If we have does kidding then we make sure we have a heating lamp/pad to keep the babies warm and get warm towels to dry them off quickly. I personally ALWAYS make sure the goats have nice warm unfrozen water as well. I'll have to keep thinking....:idea:

3. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    We clean really good down to the concrete and treat with Barn Fresh and then put down straw bedding. I also plug in the water bowl heaters and put sides on the bunny cages. We also put plexiglass panels in the windows (in the summer they are just chicken wire with shutters) I also stand in the barn on a windy day so see if there are any strong drafts that my husband will need to patch up. The barn is over 100 years old so it always need a little tlc. Then the goaties are ready for winter!

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    - We clean the floors (dirt) and then put bedding down.
    - pray we got all the leaks in the roof fixed over summer
    - decided who is going to be in which pen depending on what animals we have
    - make sure all supplies and hay/feed is at the ranch for winter
    - start breeding
    - heat lights ready if needed
    - water heaters in place
    - cross our fingers and hope everything goes good!

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I usually do a big clean out before the very cold weather hits.
    I tack feed sacks over the inside of the open eaves, lets in enough air but way too much if not covered.
    Get hay racks repaired, goats have the tendency to pull them off the walls,so I get all ready for winter.
    I try and get as much hay as I can store for a few months, I absolutely hate needing to replenish when it's snowing!
    Get the "small" things done before snow flies, like raking the yards and sealing cracks.
    Winter is the best time to stock up on grain also, so I get enough to fill my feed can, it holds about 150#...and that will last my goats a good 3 months.
    Everybody gets a hoof trim and a good brushing just about every month, hay seeds seem to settle in their under fluff and not having the dry rocky ground to walk on makes the hoof grow quicker.

6. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    I do the standard tear down of the bedding in the indoor pen & put fresh bedding down. Trim hooves, shear goats, de-worm, remove all the skeletons from the browse I put in the outdoor pen. Fill any holes the LGD dug in the outdoor pen so nobody falls into them once snow falls.

Find the heated water buckets & electrical cords that have gotten buried in the corner during the course of the summer.....

Winterize the water hoses going to the outdoor water tanks & get the heater ready in the pump house.

Find the goat coats (where did they end up this time?!) & get them washed & ready in case a goatie gets a chill.

Remove any meds that can freeze from the med cabinet & put them in the house.

Find the snow shovel & have it handy by the goat's pen so I can shovel a path to their outdoor toys.

Geez..... it's less work at my day job!

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    well in october ....we start buying hay and filling up the barn....
    Just before the weatherman says rain is coming ....we clean and scrape out both sides of the barn with the tractor.......buy a bunch of shavings bags....
    sprinkle DE on the 2 barn floors...let it air out a while.......then put the new shavings in both sides of the barn....
    we also check the barn roof for leaks...and repair anything in need of repair...
    we also setup our individual stalls because of a few bully's .....I don't like them slamming the other girls........If we are getting ready to kid in dec....we make sure we have the heatlamps in easy access....with all the necessities also needed at kidding time ...we put up new bonding pen's as needed... :)

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    We do the clean the barn thing, but this year it has been WONDERFUL. I have been on Craigs list and people are looking for straw-hay to put on their gardens, or lawn for the winter. Hey I have some with some fertilizer. I have had 7 families come clean my barn for me this year, it has been great.

DH is getting the water line in the barn as I type, so I do not have to do the hose thing, (god forbid, unless it freezes). We take the hose and spray down all the cobwebs. Put the water tanks in the barns for the winter, and make sure they are scrubbed really well. Make new feeders if they are needed.

Now this year we are getting better wiring out to the barn because what I have, it keeps popping the breakers. I only bred 4 does this year, but my bucks decided that that was not enough, so they busted down the fencing and decided they would romance the does. So now I have 13 does that will be kidding. Some of them will only be 13-14 months old. OH well, I figured it was in Gods hands.

Now I am getting all my meds in that will freeze, getting the grain stocked up, and the kidding supplies ready. We start kidding as of Jan 1st.

9. Pam B

Pam B New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Southern Michigan
    The one thing I make absolutely sure to do before the snow flies and the ground freezes is to make sure the gates and doors all have good clearance so they will open all the way when there is snow on the ground. I make sure I have a shovel on the OUTSIDE of the barn so I can dig the snow away from the doors to get inside.

Making sure I have enough straw to keep the bedding in the sheds clean is crucial. My goat sheds are all only three sided, so I want to make sure that I have a thick layer of straw down for the goats to snuggle up in when the wind and snow start to blow. And I make sure that all the sheds are facing south since that is the one direction that winter storms rarely come from.

10. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Basically what everyone else has already said. I clean the barn every week anyways but this Monday I will be organizing the feeding area (again!) seems like it gets so messy so easily! :roll:

We started trimming hooves last week but didn't get everyone done. We have several does due in the winter and January - thankfully our winters are quite mild, mostly rain, hardly any snow.

We built a new three-sided shed last month (SO happy about that!!) Right now I'm trying to figure out winter hay supply here at home, whether we want to do Chaffhaye or grass hay. . . .

Need to add lots more straw/wasted hay to the goat shed with dirt floors - will be doing that on Monday. Can't think of anything else right now. . . . but I know there is more. ;)

11. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    in the spring i tear out the hay feeders
    (pieces of fence nailed kitty corner) and strip the barns down to the floor
    i feed hay outside all summer
    when it gets cold i make sure all the cracks are stuffed
    i put in new hay feeders and start to feed hay in the barns
    this year i put a heavy layer of sawdust down before i let the goats start spreading hay around to see if it makes it easier to clean out in the spring
    and i have 2 barns so i make sure the smaller barn is "air tight" for kidding

12. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    We put plastic "shrink wrap" around the outside shelter's.

13. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    SO important. I made a door for my chicken house and anytime any snow fell I could either not get the door open or close! Learned my lesson!

14. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

this is what we used to do as we dont have the goats here anymore.
    we just have three sided sheds normally, so we ecclse about three quarters of the frontput hog fuel down in front of them and in front of the gates and around my milking area which is inside now!
    we store hay for the winter as well as get a pallet of alfalfa pellets. Everyone gets a good hoof trimming. Shave around udders if they are being milked still.
    I do wash up a couple of winter blankets just in case. I try not to use them but sometimes the kids need them on extra chilly nights. I put hammers by the water buckets.
    i let the goats pull down hay for their bedding. i rarely bed the sheds down. all the show equipement gets packed away in boxes. I bring out kidding boxes and make sure i havea good medical kit stocked up.
    beth