12/1/08 Winter feed management

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by StaceyRosado, Dec 1, 2008.

1. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Do you make any changes in feed or your feed rutine when the cold weather hits?

Any good advise to give new goat owners as well as anyone wanting to make changes for the benifit of their herd?

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I don't change anything except give them a little extra feed to keep their calories up so that they stay warm.

I do however tend to get "farm bread" from the local bakery and feed them that once a day as "treats" again - extra calories.

If it gets really cold and the does are about to kid, I like to give some alfalfa pellets for milk production - but would like to see what you all do!

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I add hay extender to their feed and up the hay since it gets pretty cold here. Although it hasn't been cold lately.... really weird. *Knocks on wood*

4. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    when it get cold ( not like some of you, but for me and the goats..its cold!!)
    i up grain, since most of them are preggo anyway, but my goats don't grow really think coats they already get alot of alfalfa and pellets, but hardly any grain, so i give them each grain

5. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    We feed the same-most of the does are bred, so we do give the goats peanut hay for extra protein- Our goats look like fuzzy slippers in the winter. :ROFL:

6. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    We do not really change the graining schedule but we do up the hay and they get premium alfalfa hay at night (grained in the mornings). We give about 1 flake for 6 does to share - break the flake up and put it in different feeders. So, pretty simple.

I really wish we could find peanut hay around here. . . .that sounds interesting to try. :)

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The only thing different that I do during winter is increase amount of hay they get....Spring thru fall they have alot of pasture/browsing, come wet/cold/ frozen winter months they don't have the browse...so for 6 does they get roughly half a bale a day as opposed to the couple flakes for nibbling any other time. I do up the grain for my boys though, increase by half cup each as well as xtra hay.

8. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    I make sure they have plenty of hay to help keep themselves occupied when it is snowing. I usually have to fill the hay racks twice a day in the winter. I also have to take a bucket of water out two or three times a day to fill their water dishes which will sometimes freeze. I have a heated water bowl but they seem to be knocking it over all of the time. They also get grain and boss in the morning but I don't increase the amount in the winter.

9. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Montana
    I always feed alfalfa hay, but when it gets below zero here, I give extra alfalfa as well as some grass hay. Having a full rumen helps goats stay warm. More grain can use up extra energy to digest, so upping the hay is better.

10. Shantarskiye

Shantarskiye Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Indiana
    We just increase hay a little since they aren’t on pasture anymore. Through the year they get feed, alfalfa pellets and hay.