The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 12 year old Nigerian Dwarf is unable to walk, laying on his side, moving his legs, and bleating. This started today with no prior warning. We are concerned for the other goats as well. It's below 30 degrees Fahrenheit here. We are keeping him warm and isolated from our small herd. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
My 12 year old Nigerian Dwarf is unable to walk, laying on his side, moving his legs, and bleating. This started today with no prior warning. We are concerned for the other goats as well. It's below 30 degrees Fahrenheit here. We are keeping him warm and isolated from our small heard. Any suggestions?
What is his temp? Have you seen him peein a good stream? He needs be at least propped up to pretty much sitting on hos front end. Layin on his side he will bloat... if not already. Hay bales are good for doin this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We've never taken his temp, and don't have a thermometer. He's always been healthy. He doesn't feel warm. We haven't seen him pee, but will prop him up. Initially I stood him up and he walked away, within an hour he had fallen again to his side. Thank you!

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Can you get him to a veterinarian or have one out?! He sounds urgent.

Any human mouth thermometer will do, get a rectal temp asap and if he is below 101*F, get hot pads, towels warmed in dryer, or a heat lamp on him!

Inject B-Complex subcutaneously 6cc

Check FAMACHA score eyelid color you check for anemia.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts