The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opportunity to buy 2 nigerian dwarf goats, a female and wether. The lady has told me they are being weaned from the bottle, just a few more days and I could take over if I wanted. These 2 goats are 14 weeks old and I've read they get weaned at 10 wks? Is bottle feeding until 14 wks typical?

She is also not their original owner, so I wouldn't see the parents on site. She says her hubby doesn't want anymore pets so she's selling and will even reduce the price by $25 for me. This is a Craigslist ad I've responded to, btw.

Does all this seem okay or would any of this cause you to be skeptical? My first thought is I'd prefer to buy from the person who has the parent goats, being a first tome goat owner. I also wonder about the late weaning and this lady's eagerness to come off her firm price so quickly. Was $150 for both, now $125. Thoughts? Advice?

·
Member with a bahhh
2,472 Posts
I don't know on the price because every place has a different market but I can reply to the bottle feeding. Being weaned late is actually a good thing. It gives them more nutrition to grow. I have a kid that is nearly 15 weeks and still on her dam drinking her dry. She has grown much better then my early weaned kids.

·
Registered
29,910 Posts
we bottle feed for 12-14 weeks....its not out of the norm..we raise large breed dairy goats...If you go see them, give them a good looking over and see what kind of vibe you get from the whole situation...if things dont look or feel right, say thank you but they wont fit your needs...its always a risk .. know what you want, know what to look for, know what to avoid and know when to say no thanks and if you are still not sure...takes lots of pix and post them here...we are happy to take a look Best wishes

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, well that is good to know on the late weaning from a bottle.

She says they are disbudded. Personally I like a goat with horns but have read of the benefits of no horns around children especially and I do have a 4 year old. When checking out these 2 goats is there anything I need to be aware of when looking at their horn area? Or is disbudding a simple procedure that rarely/never goes wrong?

·
The farm that Hope began
2,799 Posts
Yup, I'm just starting to wean some of our girls at 16 weeks. They are beasts!

Disbudding *can* go wrong and sometimes the site can be infected, but when done by someone with experience, it's not a real usual occurrence. Just check and see that the site of disbudding is neat and looks clean. There will be a scab, or it might even already be grown out. There should be no bad smell or puss.

·
Registered
29,910 Posts
things to look for is bright alert eyes...tails up..chewing a cud..lively and friendly.. no crusty eyes or nose....no lumps...shiny glossy coats...not too fuzzy although if they are still loosing winter hair..might be a bit thicker..the farm should be healthy..I went to look at goats and found them ankle deep in mud...snotty noses..sad leaky eyes...yep..that was a no buy situation..:D

·
14,615 Posts
All good info, especially overall thriftyness, bright eyed & bushy tailed.
If you have the slightest hesitation, trust your instincts & walk away.;)

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I just weaned my Nubian doeling and she was born in January. Her stallmate was born end of march and I weaned her at the same time because I am less concerned with growing her out as big as possible, since she is a mixed breed and bred for dual purpose (producing meaty kids when bred to a meat buck, and a smaller but reasonable amount of milk), not for the highest milk production possible like the nubian.

·
1,524 Posts
I wean starting at 8 weeks of age if the kids are being sold. If I plan on retaining them, they stay with mom (the doelings anyway!) until she gets bred in the fall. That means they are 6 months old! At that age they are as big as their dam and ready to be bred in December or January.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all. Wonderful advice! Esp on what to look for regarding a healthy goat! I don't the weird feeling about this seller anymore. It was just me and being a newbie to all this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts